Chapter 10

"Erudite is the coldest of the five. Knowledge is a costly thing . . ."

— Insurgent, page 182.

I wake up with my head resting on the closed door.

   My knuckles are bleeding and my legs feel like jelly. I would stand, but I feel as if somebody stole all my energy. At least I calmed myself, but that drained out all the energies I had left.

   This small room with no escape remembers me about Tobias. Every time I try to think about any other thing besides him, my thoughts end up in the same place: his fear landscape. I cannot forget his desperate attempts to escape the shrinking walls, neither the way I had to tranquilize him, with my own heartbeats. I try to do the same with myself, breathing deeply and breathing out with my eyes closed.

   But none of these help me to calm down.

   I stand up and walk from side to side, waiting for someone to open the door. I want to get out of this place. Even if there is a bed next to the wall, I refuse to even sit on it. If I wanted to show them I'm tired, I would, but I don't want them to know that hitting a door made me tired.

   The door opens.

   I do not bother to turn and see who will escort me today. Until that somebody says, "Stiff."

   I turn to find Eric on the door. He wears a blue jacket and blue pants, but I can see his black shirt under the jacket. His face is missing most of his piercings, probably because Erudite did not like Eric's metal face wandering around their faction. But why would they even have him here, as my guard?

   "If you were going to ask," I say sarcastically, "that blue doesn't go with your eyes."

   "Follow me." His voice is rough, probably because he didn't like my joke.

   As much I am desperate to leave the four falls, I won't do so if I can't get information from Eric.

   So I sit on the bed I refused to touch. I first ask what makes me the most eager, "Where is Bobby?"

   He laughs. "I thought you would ask about your boyfriend first."

   I narrow my eyes. I know that he will not tell what he did with Tobias, or it would be really hard to make Eric talk about him. And both of us know that the answer would only make me feel worse. "I do not ask questions I don't want to know the answer of."

   "Oh, so you already know that Four is dying, don't you?" he asks pleased with himself.

   Eric shot Tobias. Or maybe he didn't, and he is just playing with my mind. Eric must be playing with my mind. That's why he is here.

   "Bobby," I repeat calmly. "I want to know about Bobby."

   He rolls his eyes. "His execution is sketched to be in a couple of days. Meanwhile, he's on another cell that looks like yours. Now follow me."

    I stand up and follow him towards our unknown destination.

   Instead of following the same path I did with the other guard yesterday, Eric turns to the left, and at that single second I notice the gun hanging out of his left pocket. My hands do a desperate attempt to grab it, but Eric is faster than my instincts and grabs my wrist.

   "Walk," he says coldly. "We're late."

   We walk the next minutes in silence. Eric pulls me by my wrist so I walk faster, but I refuse and stand the farthest my arm allows me. After some turns I give up and follow Eric's pace. We reach the end of another hallway and turn, into an obscure room, with one wall made of glass and the rest of what looks like stone. I'm sure the glass wall is being used to observe me from the other side of it.