The Journey Begins

Death led me to a white chamber, not unlike the Hall we had previously been in. It was dreadfully quiet.

Death turned to face me. We made eye contact and once again, it sent shivers down my spine. His scarlet gleaming eyes...

He spoke, softly but bitterly. "So Heather, it's been hours since you died this pathetic death. It's time we see how your family will react."

"They'll be happy I'm finally gone." I muttered.

"Assumptions!" He spat.

Then, he put his cold black hand on my arm. I felt as if I was being electrocuted. And suddenly, it felt as if something was being ripped from my soul. I closed my eyes, trying to block out the pain.

But then, it was gone. The pain was gone. I opened my eyes to find myself in my room.

"Look at them. Look at what they're going through. Because of you." He said, a sickening smile plastered across his white horrible face.

I looked at my bed. My little 8 year old brother, Jack was hugging my pillow. His face was tear stained and he was sobbing, almost hysterically.

My elder sister, Jennifer was sitting on the floor, her head in her hands. She was crying bitterly.

I hadn't expected my sister to cry. Jen had always hated me. She was 4 years older than me. She was so bossy and mean that I would love to strangle her. I would love to destroy her phone and her car and her everything. Just because she was 18, didn't mean she had all the rights!

But instead, I killed myself and one of the reasons was that she hated me. But now, watching her cry like that, I realised how wrong I was.

And now, when I came to think of it, I realised the negative effect this would have on Jack. Yes, he didn't like me much but obviously, times would be difficult for him. Because of me. I had branded him with the title of 'The boy who's sister killed herself'... Maybe, he'd think that my example was worth following...

"Jen?" Jack suddenly spoke.

She looked up at him. "Huh?"

"That locket you bought for Heather? Yesterday? Did you... did you give it to her before she... died?"

Jen dug her hand into her pocket and withdrew a silver locket. "No." She said, softly. "I never got the chance."

A strangled cry escaped my lips. That was so utterly unexpected.

"But," I said to Death. "Didn't she hate me?"

"No, you fool." He cried. "I'll show you." He touched my arm and I remembered that one incident.

September 2012
Jen and I were playing in the park in front of our house when I fell down from the swing. As soon as Jen saw me on the ground, she rushed over to me.

"Heather, are you okay?"

"Ouch, no! My... my ankle."

She examined my ankle and declared. "Oh no, it's broken! We've got to visit the doctor. Come on, let's go home."

"I don't think I can walk." I said.

So she carried me home, consoling me and telling me it would be okay.

I opened my eyes.

"See?" Said Death and I nodded.
Now, I remembered what she had said, "Please, don't cry, Heather. It hurts me when you cry!"

I realised that I had damaged her. She had loved me. But I hadn't ever cared to notice.

"Come on, Heather." Said Death, coldly. "It is time to head downstairs and see what you've done to your parents."