Shared Minds

And so the real game begins. :P

Chapter 3: Shared Minds

It's been 2 years since Ellen walked this road. Very rarely has she been down it, only one time before, and that was the very day she left this place. However, this body, Viola's body, ran up and down it so many times. For seven years, since that night, that dark stormy night when Ellen's former home was shared with the six-year-old girl who feared the storm more than Ellen's power. Under this afternoon sky, clouds slowly covering the sun, there it stood: Ellen's 5-story mansion was darker and more grotesque than ever. Blood was dried upon the walls, pitch-black existed beyond the decayed windows, and the greenery around it wilted.

Ellen stopped to gaze at the structure, as did the cat who walked alongside her. This was the second time Ellen stood on the outside, seeing it through the eyes of someone else, like hundreds of children who wandered helplessly into the woods and stared. "Looks great." The cat said. "It seems that Viola chose to do a little remodeling. Will you still go?"

Ellen spared a glance at him before facing the front door fearlessly. She displayed no emotion during the first run through her own house, she wouldn't let feelings get in her way this time. She walked forward, outstretched her arm, and took the handle.

9 years ago

Six-year-old Viola sat on the couch, bundled warmly in a light-red towel that absorbed her wetness. She held a teacup in both hands and sipped. "Thank you for letting me stay here." She smiled at Ellen across from her.

"Don't mention it." Ellen smiled calmly.

"If you're a witch, can you make the storm go away?"

"I'm not a very powerful witch. I can't change the weather or the earth. But I could keep my house dry if I wanted to."

"What else can you do?"

"Lots of things. Turns objects into food, make things fly, talk to animals, you name it."

"Can you change my hair?"

Ellen smiled and waved her finger at Viola. The child stared at her braids, watching them fade from gold to brown, then blue, red, orange, then gold. "Woooooow!"

Ellen saw the childlike wonder in her emerald eyes. She waved her fingers, opened the dresser in the corner, and summoned many clothes and supplies to fly around. Viola gazed with great big eyes, as if trying to absorb the spectacle in its entirety. Her eyes were open to a whole new world, watching this small display of magic opened her mind to so many wonders. "That's so coooool!"

"Hmhm. That little bit? It's nothing." Ellen remarked. "Wanna see more?"

"Yaaaaaaawwwwwn. I'm actually sleepy. I wanna lay down." Viola said with half-closed eyes. "Will you show me more magic later?"

"Okay. I'll take you to my guestroom."

Ellen guided the drowsy child a few rooms away, to one with three beds beside each other. Each were taller than Viola, so she had to reach both arms and pull herself on. While her normal clothes were drying off, Ellen lent her a pretty white nightgown. Viola pushed open the thick blanket and settled underneath. The bed was incredibly soft and fluffy, the pillow felt like a cloud, gave Viola the sensation she was floating in midair. She grew even more drowsy as her tired eyes stared at Ellen. "Comfortable?" she asked.

"Yes. ...Ellen... you'll protect me from the storm, right?"

"Yes." She nodded.

"You won't let anything eat me?"