On the Veranda

*Author's Note*:

Hi, all. Thanks so much for stopping in! ;) I've had this story up before. It's been a long while, and I recently decided to start it up again. I genuinely hope those of you who read it will forgive me. I'll try to update more often. I have a bit more time, now.

-

First and foremost, I'd like to say, this is taking place around the summer before Rhett and Link go into 9th Grade. Rhett is 15 at the time, while Link is 14.

Lastly, it's all fictional. I based this on some things that did happen, but the storyline is mostly fictional. Thanks again, loves.

Please enjoy!

*

YEAR: 1992

My name is Claire Ellenore Grey. I was born in a rural area of Arkansas. I've always lived with my parents, who've provided me with a fairly stable life. But, when the summer after 8th grade came, something changed.

My mother and father couldn't stop arguing all of the time. We had taken a vacation the previous 4 years to North Carolina, where my father's sister, Adrienne lived. She had a decent-sized house in a small town called Buies Creek. Although it was tiny, it was beautiful nonetheless.

And when the dreaded divorce was finally on the table, that was where I was to be sent. I had to forget all of my friends in Arkansas. For the time being, at least. I was a little joyed, though, because my past few years at the school I attended hadn't been the most favorable.

*

"Claire, honey, don't fight this. I know you'll miss your friends, but you have to give us some time to sort things out. As soon as that's been done, you'll be able to move back. Until then, Adrienne will be taking care of you. And you get along with her, right?" My mother stood in the doorway of my room, looking for reassurance.

I smiled faintly. "I'll be fine, Mom. It's just for a year or so. I'm sure I'll manage."

I could see the sadness filling her eyes. This was no joy ride for her, that's for sure. She'd always been so delicate and doting. And now this was happening. I could tell it was tearing her apart. She walked over to me and wrapped her fragile arms around my body, squeezing hard.

"You'll be in good hands, Claire. I would fight it with my life if not." She rubbed her hands across my back; soothing my nerves. I hugged her back, burying my face in her sweater.

She finally drew away, and looked at me hopefully. "Now, bring your suitcase. You've got quite a ways to go."

She left my room, which gave me time to say goodbye. I took the only thing left in my room, which was a locket she had given me for my birthday once I had turned 13, only a year ago. I opened it, revealing a small engraving, reading: "You'll never understand how much you mean to me."

*

As our car finally pulled into the carport, I could see Adrienne rushing out to greet us. A wide grin sprawled across her face. My mother hadn't come along, it was only my father. He looked at me with grief in his eyes.

"I'm sorry it had to be this way, C. I promise it'll get better." He spoke from his heart, and I trusted him with all I had. I reached around and hugged him tightly, feeling his breath deepen.

I hauled my suitcase in the large home. My dad brought in the totes and set them in the room I'd be staying in. Adrienne chatted with him while he walked in and out of the house. I became re-aquatinted with the place.

There was a bathroom connected to my bedroom, and a large window, leading out to a beautiful veranda that overlooked the neighborhood. I noted the large trees and a small creek running through the beautiful landscape. I could stare at it for days...