Breakfast

My aunt was at the doctor's, because she complained about a bad stomach ache, leaving me to myself. I did what I always did when she was gone.

I hopped on my bike. For the first time, I rode down the road a short ways until I got to Link's house. I put the kickstand up and walked up to his front door. I knocked lightly, considering it was barely 8:00 in the morning and I didn't want to wake them if they weren't already up.

The bushes were trimmed nicely, and a few flower pots sat on a window sill, basking in the summer sun. I didn't recognize a most of them, but I knew the Chrysanthemums. My mother had those on our gazebo back in Arkansas.

The door opened with a heavy swing, spooking me. A dainty woman that resembled Link was standing before me, trying to figure out why I was at her front door. I cleared my throat nervously. "Uh, is um, Link here?"

I was smiling, blushing a bit as I saw Link's head bobbling in the background. Her face lit up. "Why, yes, he is. You must be the young lady he talks so kindly about. Well, both of them, really. Rhett and him could go on and-"

My smile widened, and the woman turned her eyes to where mine fell. She chuckled. "Well, speak of the boy himself."

Link pushed past his mother, a bit red in the face. "Oh, hey, Claire. Sorry about-"

"Slow down, boy, I was just about to invite your little friend in for breakfast. We're havin' French toast!" The woman knew just how to embarrass Link, and she did it well.

Link pleaded to his mother with his eyes. "Mom." He said in between his teeth, scolding her.

"Link, it's fine," I insisted, smiling at his mom. "I'd love to have breakfast with you."

Oh, the joy.

*

The house was a nice size, and it smelled like maple and honey. And peanut butter.

"Sit right here, darlin'. I'll fix you a plate." Sue pointed at an open chair next to Link and herself. Link's stepdad, Jimmy, must've been at work.

Link's mom quickly fixed me a plate with two pieces of French toast, a scrabbled egg and two strips of bacon. "Thank you, so much, Mrs. Neal. Really." I took the plate, and she beamed.

"Anytime, sugar." Her southern accent was too much, and it made me smile. It was warm and no one around here realized how strong it was.

Link sat down next to me with a plate of his own. We ate in mostly silence, slipping each other playful smirks and giggles. His mom paid no mind, as she cleaned up what was left. She had made an extra plate, setting it in the microwave. "Who's that for?" I asked, whispering to Link.

Before he could answer, there was a knock at the door. Mrs. Neal smiled sweetly, "That must be him, now." Sue murmured to herself while she walked to open the door.

We watched as she peeled the door open, nearly throwing her tiny self back a mile or two. Standing in the doorway was our tall friend. He looked beyond Sue, seeing me and Link. "Good mornin', Rhett!" She greeted.

Rhett chuckled sheepishly. "Good morning, Mrs. Neal." He stated plainly, offering a small smile.

She opened the door, letting the too-tall boy to walk over to us. He looked at Link, and then to me. Rhett smiled; his eyes were bright and inquisitive, and one corner of his mouth turned a bit more upward than the other, giving us a special Rhett smile. He looked back to Link. "Hey." He squeaked through that cheesy grin of his.