3 - Hazel

A/N I'm sooo sorry for the late update. I've had a lot going on (seriously this is not an excuse). This chapter reveals what most of you wanted to know - so hopefully I've made up for it.

Simone Pov

My jaws were beginning to hurt from smiling too much, but this social function for those in the food industry was a great opportunity for Sweet Indulgence, so I kept a pleasant face. A few girls from the store were giving out free appetisers, and from the looks of it people were feeling them. I watched as a short blonde woman dressed in purple took a bite from the mini victoria sponge with pride, before looking around the room to see if I could spot any of the girls.

My eyes travelled across the room, until they fell on a man that looked identical to Samuel. I blinked. Somehow this man has crept into my thoughts so much that I even think I'm seeing him. Shit. I thought back to when I blurted out Samuel's name during sex two nights ago. I might have to talk to my shrink about this. I mean I tried to convince myself that thinking of him was natural but nah, not if I'm daydreaming he's in front of me. I need to stop thinking about him, it's been years.

Though I wanted to look away, I kept my eyes on the chocolate skinned man who stood holding the hand of a mocha skinned woman in a figure hugging green dress.

No. No. No. It couldn't be him.

He's in America Simone, get a fucking grip of yourself.

But when my green eyes locked with his hazel ones from across the room, I knew it was Samuel and all of a sudden I couldn't breathe. I was captivated by the golden eyes I never thought I'd see again. And of course, he looked good too. His crisp looking suit fit, wavy jet black hair, and lightly trimmed stubble... My late night dreams did him no justice. Then my eyes shifted again to the right of him, to look at the dark skinned woman who was looking directly at me. It was obvious they were together, but what wasn't obvious was, what he... they were doing here.

It can't be a coincidence, can it? A crazy coincidence that he and this woman are at a food industry event in the UK, the very same one I'm at. Maybe it is, it's been five years. Fucking hell. I let out a huge breath outwards. Maybe he's into the food industry. Maybe they are some kind of romantic get away. Maybe...

As I saw the couple approaching me, between a mist of people conversing, I reminded myself to lift my head up. The last time I saw this man, he made me feel like I was nothing. I begged, I cried, I pleaded. I was at an all time low. Hormonal, guilty and apologetic. All I wanted was for him to let me explain, but he was cold and distant, and he viewed me as nothing because of the woman I used to be.

That was five years ago, I told myself. You are not that woman any more. Do not let him intimidate you. Do not show that you still have feelings after all these years, because clearly he's moved on... just as I expected. He was a good looking man. Scratch that. He's more than just good looking, and he's successful, sensitive, attentive, just... What woman wouldn't want all that? I was just too lost, too caught up in a certain lifestyle to realise it until it was too late.

Maybe externally I looked fine, but internally I crumbled at the clearing of his throat. Even the way he stood demanded my attention.

"Simone" My name sounded so serious. His voice so deep, it almost made me want to melt on the spot.

I glanced at the woman who whispered something in his ear before turning to leave as I responded, "Samuel." My voice was surprisingly clear in a similar tone to his.

There was a deathly silence before either one of us spoke. It was awkward, but he.. well they had approached me so I was waiting for Samuel to speak first. It'd been so long, and even though I thought of the things I'd say if I ever saw him again. I never thought I would, and if I did - I never would have thought it'd be like this.