Chapter 13

When I got to the car on Thursday morning I was tired. Nothing new there. I offered James a ride out of politeness (and hate of owing favours) which he accepted, and after a quick stop at Olivia's Cafe (Or as quick as it could be since Liv tends to be chatty.) we arrived at school.

I park the car next to Jess's cute pink Mini Cooper which she stands next to, waving at me perkily. James stares at her awestruck as I take the keys out of the ignition and put in my bag.

"Snap out of it James. You're so obvious." I hiss out of the corner of my mouth at him.

He looks at me obliviously. "Obvious about what?"

I roll my eyes and climbing out of the car, shutting the door behind me. "Boys." I mutter, annoyed.

"Briiii!" Jess squeals excitedly, hurrying towards me on her heels without even looking at James and giving me a massive hug. "Spill the details right now, how was yesterday?"

"You knew about that?" I ask in surprise.

"Well duh, of course. Who else would've known that you do nothing on Wednesdays except for Maths homework and terrible impressions of celebrities?"

"Oiii," I complain. "I only do those impressions due to boredom from the Maths homework. It's an ongoing cycle."

Jess rolls her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Now I want the details, spill."

I tell her as best as I can about what happened last night with Jake. The carnival, the Ferris Wheel, the way Jake carried me into my house. The last part is a bit of a blur, but I manage to remember it well enough. When I get to the part where I apologised to Jake and he responded, Jess squeals excitedly.

"I knew it! Remember I told you he's always liked you! I told you!" She shouts, practically jumping up and down in her formidably high heeled shoes.

"Who's always liked you?" A voice asks from behind us in the car park.

I spin around to find myself face to face with Tyler, who looks casually amazing as he looks at me with interest. Jess decides in this moment to chase after a bit of flying fluff, all the way until she reaches the school doors and dives through them.

"Whaaaat?" I bluff, laughing slightly nervously.

"Jessica said that someone's always liked you. Who were you two talking about?" He asks curiously.

I look around hurriedly, looking for a change of subject. Something.

Anything.

Finally I have no choice but to focus on something and spit out a piece of dialogue about it.

"Super nice weather today isn't it?" I ask conversationally, looking up at the dismal grey sky and its dark rain clouds, my teeth clenched tightly together. "Really, really nice."

"Almost feels like Africa." He replies slightly sourly. "Who's always liked you?"

"Do you reckon it's anywhere near 20 degrees?" I continue.

Tyler raises his eyebrow. "I don't think it's anywhere near hot enough to be 5 degrees, so no I don't suppose so."

"Ah well, what a pity. Oh darn, such a shame." I perk up suddenly. "Come on it's probably school time." I turn to go and start walking towards the school doors, but Tyler grabs hold of my wrist and spins me back round to face him.

"We have like twenty minutes before the bell goes." He says.

"Well, better safe than sorry!" I turn to walk again but he turns me round again.

"Who's always liked you?" He asks slowly, his voice low. Such a cute voice it is as well, quite low pitched anyway, and with such a cute British accent. Drop dead gorgeous.

"Does it matter?" I reply, smiling brightly.

"I just want to know. I'm curious." He says, though his usually pale beautifully high cheekboned cheeks turn slightly red.

I smile and lean forward, rising on my tip toes only a tiny bit, and kiss the tip of his nose lightly. He looks at me in shock but I just grab hold of his hand and turn, dragging him towards the school.

"Come on, chop chop, uppity up and quickity quick. It's time to learn!" I call out as I pull him along.

I'm almost completely sure we might have gotten a few strange looks.

***

Jess smiles at me when I walked into our English class later that day, the lesson before lunch. I drop my bag on the desk and raise my eyebrow at her expectantly.

"What?" She asks.

"Well, I don't usually run after random pieces of fluff flying through the air. Why the hell did you leave me?!" I ask impatiently.

"I wanted to see if you could get some action." She smiles. "It's obvious that you like him, especially since you lied to him about Jake liking you."

I sigh tiredly. "That obvious?"

She nods and pats my shoulder lightly. "Very. But maybe just to me since I'm your best friend."

I let out a groan and sit down in my seat, leaning my head on the counter tiredly. "Great. I'm dead meat."

Jess sits down in the chair that is on my left and strokes my head soothingly. "If it makes you feel better, I think you have a really good chance with Tyler."

Putting my head up slightly, I look at her like a hopeful child. "You really think so?"

"I know so my darling." She smiles brightly and pats my head one last time.

I smile at her and sit up, leaning my head on her shoulder as we wait for the rest of the class to file in to the room. "Thanks for making me feel better, babs." I mutter quietly.

"Not a problem, babs. I'll always be here to help you out." She replies, leaning her head on top of mine lightly.

"Same here. Always here for you my little friend."

Jess laughs and puts her head up indignantly. "I think you meant tall friend."

I grin at her and put my own head up. "I'm pretty sure I know what I meant. And you definitely ain't tall."

She pouts. "You're so mean to me."

I squeeze her shoulder lightly. "Sorry babs, I deal in facts."