Chapter I:The Phantom Thief and the Policeman

A cloaked brunet wearing a white mask that hid the upper part of his face and rather dressed fancy in a black suit, was currently running and avoiding the numerous traps and obstacles that the police placed all over throughout the tall skyscraper he was currently in.

He just stole a valuable pair of amethyst sandals called the 'Crystal Stair' in the building where the pair of sandals was being showcased. Even though how much the police planned and try to be one step ahead of him, he was already ten steps ahead of them. He always finds a way to steal any artifact or piece of jewelry.

The masked thief smirked a little as he then finally arrives on the building's rooftop. He looks at the bright, shining full moon up in the sky and sighed in what seemed to be in satisfaction. The long, black cape that was clasped around his shoulders fluttered behind him as a soft breeze blew.

He then suddenly hears the rooftop's only door opening, footsteps of someone walking out of it and then the door being shut closed.

The thief's smirk widened as he turned around to face a rather handsome man with black hair and piercing gray eyes who was wielding a tonfa in each of his hands and was currently glaring at him.

"I'm going to bite you to death, thief herbivore." The man said as he raises his weapons.

The brunet thief just tutted, "You've been saying that for over a year now but you still haven't been able to do it yet, Kyoya."

The way the masked thief said his name in a sultry-like way made the tonfa-wielding man scowl. He goes on a fighting stance and prepares himself to charge at the brunet.

The thief licks his lips as he then grins, doing a defensive stance-wanting to fight (or play) with the policeman right before him who was looking at him with such fury.

Hibari Kyoya was Namimori's professional chief investigator. A year ago, at the first time the mask-wearing and formally-suited brunet of a thief first appeared in a jewelry showcase, he managed to fool the investigator's fellow policemen and easily disappeared into the night-though not before winking at him in a flirtatious way. At their first meeting, Hibari knew that he had to catch the master thief, either dead or alive.

When the two were just about to charge at each other, a gunshot echoed throughout the air, startling them.

Hibari narrowed his eyes as he then looks around the rooftop, then at the surrounding buildings when he found no one with them.

The masked thief turns around and looks at a particular building just about 30 meters away from them.

There, on the rooftop of a hotel building, was a figure. It was a man wielding a rifle that was pointed up towards the sky. Hibari was sure that was the one who did the gunshot, but for what reason?

Hibari glances at the thief on what was his reaction and he was a bit surprised (though he did not show it on his face)-of the expression the brunet had on his face-or eyes, his mask still hiding half of his face. He was frowning, his eyes showing irritation and seemed to be glaring at the man with the rifle.

"Reborn....you..." The thief muttered under his breath with annoyance obvious in his voice. He took a deep breath in and exhaled, then turned o face Hibari-now smiling like always before, laced with mischief.

"It seems I'll have to go now, Kyoya. But I assure you-we'll have our little dance the next time we meet. Ciao~" he winks at him as he then jumps off the building's ledge where he was standing on.

Hibari quickly leans forward and looks around for any sight of the thief. There was none.

He growled as he then smashes a part of the rooftop's ledge with one of his tonfas.

"Damn herbivore-!!"