Chapter 27

"Candace, are you okay?" Nat asked me. 

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked. 

"You were shaking and almost hit me in the face!" 

"Sorry, I had dreams again. They're looking for us Nat!" 

"Do they know where we are?" 

"No, but they think we took the train." 

"They may not be able to find us though, Candace. We'll just have to move fast. If we can avoid Brooke for so long, then the ghosts will just kill her." Nat suggested. 

"I'm not so sure anymore. It's our blood we want, but we'll still have to move quickly! They're willing to use magic on real people, well I guess I should say normal mortals." 

"What do we have to look for in the City of the Dead?" 

"I don't-"

"Candace Ashley Brown, and Natalie Elizabeth Genstine, you are in so much trouble!" Someone said, and that someone happened to be my dad. 

"Oh no." I said under my breath. "Hi Dad!" I said cheerfully, hoping I could somehow make him not realize what Nat and I were doing. 

"Don't act like everything's okay, because it's not! I'm not dumb Candace! I've done magic for a long time. I saw that 'you' were really a long time, I can recognize magic when I see it. Even if you cast the forget spell on me!" 

"Um, how did you get here Steve?" Nat asked. 

"I teleported, what else?" 

"Leva." Talk, I said. I figured I'd get in even more trouble, but how much more could I be in? I probably was already grounded for life. "Dad, if you're on a mission can you teleport someone back to where they came from?" 

"No," Then my wonderful father broke out of the spell, and into his full anger. "You should have NEVER known about magic! You and Natalie are wasting your money and your time!" 

"DAD!" I yelled. "Snap out of the anger moment! You said when we made you talk, that we were meant to go on this mission! Dad, if we were meant to go on this, then why are you trying to stop us? We are risking our butts for you, Mom, all magicians, and the whole entire world! So, tell me why are you trying to stop me? Why are you trying to stop Nat?" 

"Because you aren't ready!" Dad yelled back. 

"Steve, then explain how we killed a couple of monsters, got a fire breathing pig, whose name is Maddie to be good and join our side, how did we find two clues out of four, and how did we defeat the convincing ghost named...um Candace what was his name again?" Nat asked which kind of broke the inspiring part of how good we were. 

"Mohammad." I supplied. 

"Oh thanks. How do you think we killed the ghost who has never been killed named Mohammad?" She demanded. "If we're not ready, then we never will be!" 

"You got Maddie the pig to join us?" 

"Yes Dad, she's the purse." Maddie oinked which made a few more people stare at us. I wonder what they thought of us talking about magic and monsters. Hopefully the magic made them not really hear what we were saying. 

"You killed Mo-Mohammad?" He asked as if he was in a dream. 

"And the sorcerer Romo!" 

"Oh, you really are ready girls." He said sadly as if he couldn't believe we had grown up, and become great magicians (if I do say so myself) so quickly. 

"Dad, how did you find us?" I asked. 

"I used magic that only advanced magicians know." 

"Have you ever killed Mohammad or any ghost?" I asked, trying to prove that we may be young, but we were pretty advanced magicians. 

"No, but..." 

"You've had more training right?" 

"Yes." 

"Steve, you have to let me and Candace continue! We've come so far and we're halfway done."

"I-I can't let you." His face hardened. "You're too young! If you-if you-" 

"If we die?" I asked.

"Yes, I couldn't live with myself then."

"Dad, that's all part of being a magician. I'm sure when you first learned about magic you understood that too! It's part of our lives. Risking them so many more people could be spared."

"You're right, now can you cast the forget spell on me?" 

"No, you have to teleport back home and then cast it on yourself. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to teleport yourself home." 

"Girls, I'll leave, but no matter what happens I've always loved you." He said and left. We saw a tear trickling done his face as he teleported back home. I felt my eyes moisten too, and I knew a terrible fight was coming, one that would end the life of someone I loved.