Chapter 15

“Nat, is that my phone or your phone?” I asked.  

“I think it’s your phone.” I looked at who it was and saw that it was the other best friend to the trio, Chloe. Chloe was Nat and my best friend. We had invited her over for the night, but she had plans with her boyfriend, Triston.

“Wonder why Chloe is calling me. Isn’t she on a date with Triston?”

“I thought so.” I shrugged my shoulders and picked up the phone.

“Hello?” I instantly heard sobs and my eyes widened. “Chloe what is it?” Chloe was one of those friends that always worried me. She had severe depression when she was in grade ten and sometimes, even though it was a year later, I wondered if she still had it.

“Triston...he broke up with me, Candace.” I heard more sobbing.

“Chloe, are you okay? Nat and I will be right over, okay? Where are you right now? Home?” I needed to get to Chloe, because I could tell something was wrong. She needed someone there to help her.

“Candace, don’t come. I can’t do this anymore. Triston….” She took a shaky breath. “Triston and I got in a huge fight. He got really angry and he…he told me to just go kill myself like I was going to last year. He told me I should just die.”

“Chloe, if he said that he wasn’t a good boyfriend anyways.” I motioned for Nat to follow me and I grabbed the keys and handed them to Nat. She understood and we ran to the car. “Just tell me where you are so I can come bring you home, okay?”

“Candace, I’m not coming home. I just wanted to call to say goodbye. I can’t do this anymore! I’m not going to be told to die one more time. I’m going to do what all those people want me to.” My eyes filled with tears.

“Chloe, no just wait. Can you explain the situation to me? Can Nat and I just come and pick you up?”

“Candace, I can’t live one more day. I just wanted to call to thank you and Nat for being such amazing best friends. I needed you all those years, and you were there for me. You were there in the darkest of times, and stood by my side when all those people just told me to die.” I remembered all the stories Chloe had told Nat and I, the texts she showed us. I never understood how people could be so mean to someone.

“Chloe, you’ve been through dark times, but you got through them. We’re going to get through this to. Just please Chloe tell me where you are.” My voice broke. I just couldn’t lose Chloe. She was my other sister to me, and we had been through too much for one bad night to end her.

“I know, Candace, I just can’t go through another bad time. I can’t do it again. You don’t understand the pain. I trusted Triston with my life, but he betrayed me. You and Nat are all I have left. Thank you for being such great friend’s Candace. You guys have made my life so great and made me feel like I had a purpose. You two are sisters to me, and I will always remember you guys. Until we meet again, Candace.” She hung up the phone and I held back a sob.

“Nat, where were Chloe and Triston going out for supper?”

“I think they went to L’Abattoir.” Nat kept driving and turned so we could get to L’Abattoir, which was a really fancy restaurant. “Candace, what’s happening to Chloe?”

“Nat, she told me to say goodbye to you and she wanted to thank you for being such an amazing friend and sister. Nat, she’s going to kill herself.” I quickly dialed 911 and told them the situation. They said they would look for her and they would track her phone. I shook my head in disbelief. Nat sped the car up and we soon arrive at L’Abattoir. Nat and I jumped out of the car and looked for somewhere that you could hide. I had no idea how Chloe was planning to kill herself, but I couldn’t let it happen.