Chapter 5: I'll wear a red bikini just please hire me

I smile the moment I open my eyes to find a bars of Coffee Crisp surrounding me. Right when I get up, I devour one without hesitation, giving me the energy I will definitely need.

I'm finally handing in my résumé at Seaway Park, and hopefully I can also have my interview. I have my lifeguard certifications, First Aid and CPR, and although I don't have any work experience aside from babysitting, I am active in swimming events. I want this job badly, first of all because I want my Infiniti, and mostly because I need a life. This summer I am definitely not spending alone and without checking off at least one job on my list.

So I take a shower and change into a pair of shorts and an asymmetrical lavender tank top underneath my white, crocheted two piece. My handbag is filled with sunscreen and papers I might need, glasses and a bottle of water and such. I ride my bike to the Park, which is practically empty since it's going to open at nine, and right now it's only a little bit passed eight.

The guards at the front are wearing the classic blue button up with black slacks and a shiny black belt. They do not look intimidating at all, almost like inexperienced youth, which gives me the courage to go up to the entrance.

"Hi, um, I was wondering if I can speak to the manager to apply for a job?" I ask.

They seem even more lost than I am, so awkwardly, without any questions, one of them bring me to a man probably in his mid twenties, with jet black beard and moustache and nice, healthy looking hair that could pass for a Head N Shoulders commercial. He has friendly looking eyes with unbelievably full and thick lashes.

"Hello! Um. . .yes?" He says, not quite knowing why I'm here. His voice is surprisingly teacher-like, not too high or too deep, totally amiable, and definitely uncorrespondent with his appearance.

"Hi! I was wondering if you're hiring students for the summer and if you have an open spot for lifeguards?" I smile stiffly, trying hard to seem spirited and enthusiastic. First times are always (at least for me) the most tense.

"Oh! Yes, we do have an open spot. Do you have your resume and everything?"

"I do!" I hand him my files which I neatly placed in a folder. He skims through it, nodding hopefully in approval.

After a few minutes, he looks up to me. "Well, it seems like your a very good and responsible candidate. We actually really need someone on the area for children, and since you have a background of babysitting I think that would be perfect for you."

"Awesome! Please keep my resume, and you can contact me anytime for an interview."

"Actually. . .we desperately need someone today. Do you think you can start?" He says, almost in a pleading way. His full eyebrows straighten and for a moment he mirrors some dog breed I can't remember.

"Seriously? Well, um, absolutely!" I say in surprise. Luckily, I came prepared. I honestly chose the perfect time to decide to be organized for once.

"I'll have someone give you a time table and assist you with your duties. Uniforms are in the women's changing room, and right now you have less than forty minutes to get ready for opening."

"Got it. Anything else?" I take mental notes of everything he has said, terribly wishing one won't slip off of my forgetful mind.

"Yes. Thank goodness you came here." He says, smiling earnestly that for some reason makes him like a good old hobo who just received a Big Mac.

"No problem sir. . ." I squint to read his name tag. "Mike."

I walk into the staff quarters and other workers take their time to scrutinize me. The girls are all so thin and pretty, but considering their insanely arched eyebrows and very hot pink lips, they look more ready for a high school pool party than work. Some guys give their once sided smirk, and I wonder if I am giving off the same aura they are: irresponsible teenagers, who may or may not be saving up money for drugs, or cars in which they can freely have sex in. For a moment I wonder if I should really take pride in being hired here in Seaway Park. Because obviously, it looks like their standards aren't the highest.

I remember the first time I ever visited Seaway Park. I came with Cody, and we were both seven, holding hands as we ran to the entrance, anxious and thrilled. I had on a polka dot once piece with thick ruffles that added to my very flat bust, and I was positive I would show off my swimming skills after hours of practicing breast strokes in my inflatable pool that was two feet deep. Cody was confident he could beat me in a race, taunting me by sticking his tongue out, which I had found rude then.

We headed straight to the kiddie pool, those for seven year olds and above, that reached four feet, and without hesitation I plummeted into the water. Before my jump I heard Cody and my babysitter at the time scream out, "Sophia, wait!" as they chased me. But it was too late. I came to a realization that four feet was not deep enough for a dive. I hit my head on the tiled floor, not even a real hit, more like a pat. However, it was the surprise that came with the dive that caused me to suddenly lose my swimming abilities and drown and almost die. Luckily I didn't though.

When I gained some consciousness my vision landed on a young guy wearing a serious expression, with broad shoulders and a tattoo that said Selena above his toned chest. I surpressed my laugh then thinking he had such a girly name, and I'd actually felt bad for him. But afterward I realized it was probably, most likely his girlfriend's name.

I owe my life to that guy, and ever since then I vowed I would train to be an amazing swimmer and save lives just like him. I thank God I didn't develop trauma through the whole drowning thing. As time passed though, it didn't really become like, a real career I was dedicated to. It became one of the jobs I wanted to try, along with fashion retail, snowboarding instructor (even though we'd never get that kind of weather here), a hair stylist, and hundreds more that will remain dreams and that I will surely not be able to do in my teenage years.

Well, now here I am, ready to rescue drowning children in a red one piece with a trying-hard-to-be-modest halter top. I wonder how much this park has changed since I was seven.

A girl with sun bleached, chlorine (and possibly straightener) damaged hair smiles at me, her perfectly white teeth contrasting with her deep tan.

"Hey!" She says. "So you're the new girl, right? I'm Maddie." She extends her arms for a hug, and right away I know she's a preppy, nonchalant girl who can be friends with anybody.

"Yeah, I'm Sophia." I say, returning her tight, sincere grip.

"Okay, so here's your lock. Your locker number is twenty one. And I have your responsibilities and stuff here," she says, holding up a sheet of paper. "which is basically standing and walking around the pool, trying to look strict and intimidating. Honestly this is probably the easiest job you can get."

"Great. Are you also in the kids section?" I ask, desperately hoping she says yes so that I'm not alone.

"Yeah, I'll be there. Oh, and before we start, you might want to wear the matching shorts with that." She points to my bathing suit. "The kids there will laugh at you for being 'naked' and showing your butt."

After I slip onto these pair of white, drawstring swimming shorts, Maddie and I head on to The Moppet Pool, which I now find just plain hilarious. Through the name itself it's apparent that this side of the park is not meant for thrill seekers, and is instead for six year olds and below. There are these fake, plastic coconut trees randomly scattered around the swimming pool, I'm guessing in the designer's attempt to make the two feet deep pool seem. . .enticing.

More than half an hour passed since the opening and there are exactly thirty two people in this area. I cannot be more bored, standing alone as I watch parents in effort and struggle to teach their infant to miraculously do a breast stroke. The other two lifeguards do not bother to begin a conversation or welcome me, and are probably in a trance counting down the the beginning of their break. I go up to Maddie who is on the other side of the pool with her oversized sunglasses, and I can't tell whether she is intently watching someone, or drifting off to sleep standing.

"Maddie! Okay, you did not warn me it would be this boring." I say in a serious tone even though I'm just teasing.

"Well, it's not the most fun job in the world. But you get paid for just standing." She has a point. But I am not the kind of person who can tolerate doing nothing. I make a disappointed face which makes her giggle. "Don't worry, Hun. I'll show you around on our break. It'll be awesome."

And I gravely hope so.