My feet hurt like a motherfucker, a product of this morning's hard run on the treadmill. It also doesn't help that I have on heels a couple inches higher than they needed to be.

I checked the gold watch on my wrist.

11:30 am...

When is this dentist going to be ready? I've been waiting for over an hour. This is ridiculous. I looked around. Waiting with me were mothers bringing their children for checkups and teenagers were whining at the fact that they have to wear braces.

I ran my tongue over the teeth inside of my mouth. I do that sometimes when I'm bored, and I was so bored right now, I did it again.

This is unacceptable.

I stood up, tucking the small clutch I had been carrying into the crook of my arm as I walked up to the reception area.

"Excuse me," I said. "I had an appointment at 10:30."

The receptionist was an older woman and clearly overwhelmed with the day's demanding schedules. Pieces of hair fell from her loose bun.

"I'm so sorry. Dr. Bieber had an emergency surgery this morning and all of his patients had to be pushed back. We can reschedule if you needed to leave."

She keeped apologizing to me while I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. I'm usually not so hostile, but I had to meet my mother today for lunch, and it always put me in a bad mood. Plus, my bunny snuck out of the house, got hit by a car and died this morning, so I'm not at my best.

"Do you know how much longer he will take?" I asked, tempering my voice so that I didn't scare the woman with my tone.

Before she could answer, a dental technician opened a door in the corner and yelled my name, "Abigail Rivera."

"I'm here!" I raised my hand like I was in class and rushed towards her, my heels clicking.

The entire office seemed to be in an apologetic mood, and the technician said she was sorry for the wait. I waved her off like it was no big deal. But it was a big deal. I'm going to be late for lunch and I could already hear my mother's voice in my head bickering at me for making her wait.

I walked down a hallway, following the lady carrying my dental chart. Offices surrounded us on both sides. I could see dentists of all types working on teeth. Does anyone really enjoy coming here? I don't.

She lead me to a room and opened the door. "The dentist will be with you shortly, darling. You're a new patient of ours so he'll ask you a few questions before he begins your exam."

"That's fine. Thank you." I sat in the plastic chair that leans back. It's hard to maneuver in my short, black pencil skirt and button down white shirt, but I managed well enough. I placed my clutch on my lap and waited.

Birds were chirping outside. I wish I could hear them better, but the window was shut. I could only imagine how the warm April air must feel. Unfortunately, I had been stuck inside longer that I should have been.

I get mad all over again at the dentist for making me wait.

I crossed my legs at the ankles to wait some more. Who does he think he is? I checked my watch. So rude. I flipped my brown hair over my right shoulder so that it flowed down and began to play with the ends. It was a bad habit, but I'm bored. As I've already said.

I waited some more.

The door opens and Dr. Bieber comes in. His name tag was proudly displayed on the front of his white lab coat. He was reading my chart in his hands and had yet to look up. I saw that he's tall. Really tall.