Chapter Five

Lucy

Trial Number Five: What Goes Around Comes Around

Grocery bags in hand, I slammed the front door of Levy's house behind me and set the bags on the kitchen table, sinking shakily into one of the four chairs surrounding the circular kitchen table. I thought I was going to pass out, and not because of the oppressive heat. Laying one of my cheeks against the cool tile that plated the table surface, I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths, trying to compose myself. I can't believe I had seen Natsu. I knew he still lived in town, but I hadn't expected to see him. Well, I guess I had, but it hadn't been something high on my to-do list.

I sighed as the image of him popped into my head, the image of him standing there, arms propped on the handle of a shopping cart, the image I had committed to memory despite myself. He looked so different. His hair was still cut short and spiky, but it seemed thicker and even darker than before, now looking back a salmon pink whereas before it had simply been pink; the sun probably turned it darker. He was even taller than before, now probably around six and a half feet, when before he was around six foot four. His chest was wide and expansive, and you could see the way his snug black t-shirt molded to the contours of his chest, hinting at some very lovely pectorals. His nose was still straight; his eyes still dark onyx, but more intense and knowing.

I could see that he was more mature; not only in his physical appearance, but also in the way he walked and talked. His voice was deep and authoritative, like he knew what he was talking about when he spoke. His eyes had something about them, something that told you that he wasn't to be messed with, that let you know that he would show no mercy. And despite how dark and sick it was, I found it hot. There was nothing sexier than a man that could take control. Of course he could take control; he was a parent. Not only a parent, but a loving father.

And that stopped my thoughts about Natsu as quickly as a cobra's strike. He has a child. Natsu. My Natsu has a child. With another woman. Fury and anguish like I had only felt one other time in my life built up inside of me, and I had to take shallow, gaspy breaths to keep myself from crying right then and there. I knew when I had gone that I was giving up everything that I knew I could have with Natsu. I knew I was giving up not only him, but his love, his thoughts, his children, his life. Because Natsu's life had been my own. He was my everything. And I had thrown it away.

He was probably married now, most likely had more children than just Julian. I could practically picture his wife right now, some brunette with exotic blue eyes and a busty body, with not too much up in the attic, just the way Natsu had always liked his girls before me. It was stupid for me to think that I had changed him. I knew, deep in my heart that he wouldn't wait around for me, that he had his own life to live, but I had always secretly wished that he would only want me. It was stupid for me to think that. It was even stupider of me to be thinking this about something that happened ten years ago. Pushing all thoughts of Natsu out of my head, I reminded myself that this was all water under the bridge, then stood and began putting the groceries into the refrigerator.

Wendy Marvell walked into the kitchen then, telling me about every move Levy made, which wasn't many. Finishing with the groceries, I thanked Wendy and gave her twenty dollars, which I had to practically force on her. When she left, I went out onto the porch and sat down on the wooden swing Levy had hanging from the ceiling, something Gajeel had installed when they had first moved into the house three years ago. I pulled my legs up and crossed them Indian style, resting my elbows on my thighs as I sighed and stared out at nothing. The front door opened and Levy walked out, wearing a big stretchy purple cotton skirt that reached her ankles, a white tank top, and bare feet. Her hair was messy and slightly greasy, and she looked like she could use a shower.