Chapter Two

Cries, whimpers, screams, coughing, and sobs that can only be from children. They are banging on the door, but by the looks of it it's shut tight. It won't budge. For a moment I am puzzled to what my next move should be. I'm already starting to regret my choice, ever thinking I could safe other people when I can't even safe myself. I turn glancing at my beloved woods what could be my only hope to survive. That's when I see it.

At this moment I don't think, I just do. On my left side there's a man lying on the ground, from what I can see he's badly burned and I'm not sure if he's dead or alive. The thing that catches my eye is the axe in his hand. Swiftly I run towards him, now seeing him from up close I know that if he was still alive there would be no way of saving him.

So I don't feel guilty when I unfolded his hands, which takes more afford than I had expected. His last grip being so tightly as if it life itself was coming from the axe. Finally I get it free from his grasp and make my way back to the building. I can see flames coming from the windows now, it looks like they are daring me. Taunting me to move quicker than they do. With a few good hits on the lock it falls off.

The sounds behind the door have already started to become softer and quieter, more reason to hurry up. I pull hard and the door swings open, the first few kids fall forward on the ground and slowly they start walking or crawling out of the place. Just when I see the last kid, a young boy that can't be much older than eight, stumbling out of the building with a baby in his arms the roof collapses. I jump back, pulling the boy with me, away from the building.

"Is everyone out?!" I try to yell over all the noise.

The children around me nod and some of them are grabbing my hand, my shirt. The little ones are clinging to my legs. I pity them, but I don't know what to do next. I shush them, at least I try to. My eyes scan the crowed of kids, there seem to be around fifteen of them. Picking out the five oldest I wave them over. Once they have gathered before me I instruct them.

"Take all the kids, lead them into the woods. Go east, until you see a cabin. You're safe there."

Some kid I heard others call Octave shoots me a questionable look. "Why should we trust you?" He asks.

Fair enough, it's a good question. Smart kid not to trust other people, but he's got awful timing.

"Do you see any other person here willing to risk their lives for you?" I ask him, while I frantically wave my arms in the air, knowing that there is no one there. It's the cold truth, but he seems to get my point.

"Let's go!" Before I can say anything else to them Octave starts running, the kids following him in a single line.

No one protests, the older children have stopped crying and are marching with a straight face. A born leader, that's what that boy is. I don't have much time to admire the children, because as I watch them run away I notice that someone's missing.

My head immediately turns to the roof of the building, but I know she can't be up there. There is no more roof. Actually there is no orphanage at all. For a moment I feel defeated, I don't let myself mourn long though, I still have my own mission to complete. Survive.

Everywhere I look I see dead people, people I knew, neighbors, classmates. Sadness overwhelms me when I realize that there is nothing I can do for them. The only thing I'm able to do is run. My feet are getting heavier with every step, as if my heart is sinking down. There's a loud bang that makes my head turn around, my eyes widen at what is behind me.

A group of soldiers is marching through the street. Cleaning up the surviving victims. The ones who are still able to move, try to stumble away. But you can't do much anymore with a bullet between your eyes. I slow down even more, thinking that maybe it's best if I die. No one will miss me. What do I have left to live for? My parents are probably already dead. My best friend got shot and died before my eyes.. And then there she is.

Right by my side, not looking at me, but she starts running. I have to follow her. Her presence gives me strength to keep moving. We run alongside each other for a long, long time. Until we are out of sight of the soldiers, until we can't see the buildings anymore. We only stop once we can't hear the whimpers and moaning of our dying town. Even though we haven't shared a word, we know we will stick together. From now on, we are a team.