Chapter Seven

The two elves announced their presence at the palace.  When the guards at the front door saw they were carrying a person between them they were questioned.  "This is Firen and Byron reporting from the village of Eodem.  We found this elf," Firen shook the unconscious boy for emphasis, "lurking around the perimeter.  We've brought him for questioning," he explained to the castle guards.

                They motioned him through the doors and another elf swiftly lead them to the library to show their findings to the queen.

                Firen grabbed the boy and hoisted him over a shoulder.  At the questioning look Byron gave he simply stated, "It has to be easier than how we were carrying him."

                Byron could not argue with that.  Carrying the youngling between them when they were walking to the palace doors had been...less than ideal.

                Byron followed behind Firen as they made their way to the library.  He took this time to study the young thing they had brought in for questioning.  He was pretty even with the glamour dulling his features.  Beautiful creamy skin and vibrant red hair.  Back in Eodem, Byron noticed, when they had used their magic to make the boy freeze he had been so scared so confused.  It left Byron unsure of whether the kid had anything to do with the destruction of the village.

                He thought it more likely the whole situation was more happenstance.

                But Firen thought differently.

                And Byron had fed on that belief earlier when he said this kid looked like the Oath-breaker to get a rile out of the man. Even though the resemblance was uncanny the young man couldn't be the Oath-breaker.  He was simply too young, too inexperienced. 

                The Oath-breaker would have broken the spell they had cast earlier.  Although, it was impressive that the kid could hold onto his glamour even while unconscious.  Most inexperienced magic users wouldn't be able to keep the form under that much strain.

                The servant stopped in front of a grand set of light oak doors.  "Wait here while I announce your arrival to the Queen."  They both nodded in understanding as he knocked on the door and slipped inside the library.

~WLL~

Queen Noir looked up from her desk where she had been going over budget information when she heard a knock on the door.  And there she saw Roth'wen slipping into the room.  "Please, Roth'wen come in.  Not like I'm doing anything important," she greeted halfway sarcastic.

"I think you need to see this, majesty," Roth'wen insisted, not at all bothered by the sarcasm in her tone.

"What is it now?  A golden apple?  A venomless asp?"

"A youth apprehended by two guards at Eodem, actually."

That got the Queen's attention, "Send them in."

                Roth'wen opened the door and motioned the two men inside.

                The Queen studied the pair as they approached where she was seated at her desk.  She knew of the pair, Byron and Firen.  The slighter one was fairly decent at swordplay.  But where he truly excelled was magic.  He had a tan complexion and black hair with shocking blue eyes.

 The larger one was a great swordsman with an unfortunately quick temper who was more than happy to interrogate their most dangerous criminals.  He'd often use cruel methods to get the answers they needed. Everything about the man was dark from his personality to his long black locks.  Over his shoulder was the youth they captured.  She couldn't get a good look at him with the way he was being carried.