One Mistake - Chapter 2 (Babysitter)

Driving to James' house was never much of a chore for Devon, but for some strange reason, she didn't feel like going today, even though he was sick. She was also feeling slightly guilty for rejecting Sam's offer to get a bite to eat, it's not that she didn't want to, but like she said, she had to look after James. And because she knows her friend like the back of her hand, she knew that he would be upset with her if she didn't turn up even after he texted her multiple times. But Devon still couldn't shake the the disappointment she saw on Sam's face when she said she couldn't come. She knew he tried to hide it, but no matter how good of an actor he was, she could read him like an open book. 

The truth was she's studied Sam. She knew when he was happy, when he was sad, when he was excited and when he was disappointed. She cared about him a lot, but not in the way most people think. Yes, she's admitted she had a crush on him in an interview in the past, but her feelings for him have since changed. To her, Sam Concepcion was one of her closest friends and she wouldn't want anything to come between them, especially a romantic relationship; and she knew Sam felt the same way.

---

Sam was sitting at home scrolling through old pictures of him and Devon. He loved seeing her captivating smile; the type of smile that made everyone's day. He loved that her personality shone through the pictures; with Devon, what you see is what you get. He loved being the one to make her laugh; he had a feeling of pride every time Devon hit him with her "metal hands" because it meant that his jokes made her happy enough to overreact. But most of all, he loved her

---

Devon got off the elevator once she reached the floor or James' condo. Once she was outside his door she reached for her own key, that James insisted she have, and let herself in. 

"James? Nasaan ka?" said Devon as she walked into an empty living room.

"I'm in my room," replied James in between a fit of coughs.

Devon then made her way to his bedroom, mentally creating a checklist of what she needs to do. James wasn't exactly the cleanest and most organised person, and because he's sick, his condo looked as if a tornado ransacked through it. There were plates stacked as high as the Eiffel Tower near the sink, there were food scraps all over the floor and don't forget to mention the pile of laundry that smelled like something died.

"Ang kadiri mo naman James," was the first thing Devon said when she arrived in his room, "porket may sakit ka pwede ka na mabuhay parang isang baboy."

"It's not my fault naman eh," James responded defensively, "my body hurts too much to move."

"Ang OA mo naman," replied Devon jokingly, "pero seriously, kumain ka na ba?"

"Wala pa, wala kasi akong gana. Pero pag ikaw magluluto para sa akin, kakain ako."

"Weh, kala ko you hate my cooking? Bakit ba ako ang gusto mo magluto para sayo?"

"Because Devon, as long as it comes from your heart, I know it will taste delicious," said James charmingly.

"Akala mo naloloko mo ako James Reid?" laughed Devon, "I know you're terrified of what I'm going to cook you, so to save you from that misery I'll just order take out nalang."

James smiled, "Now that, is an excellent idea."

Devon told James to wait for a moment as she left to make a call to Jollibee. She ordered the usual: Yum Burger, Chicken Joy and her favourite, the spaghetti. Once she hung up, she felt her phone vibrate, notifying her that she received a text message. On her screen she saw the name SAM accompanied with a silly picture she had taken of him on her birthday. His cheeks were puffed out and he was wearing a pair of bunny ears he stole from the photo booth. Devon couldn't help but laugh as she stared at that photo, she remembered that moment so clearly.