Chapter twelve

Even the fact that someone stood up for me couldn’t change the mood I was stuck in. It’s true that at that particular moment, when I met Zach, I felt some kind of excitement I haven’t felt in a while, but that were my emotions playing with me. I couldn’t stand the fact that Harry was separated from me by couple thousand of miles and the thought of all those pretty models throwing themselves on him at posh parties just killed me inside. I knew Harry wouldn’t do such a thing. When he’s in a relationship, he’s a hundred percent committed and loyal, but my brain let me believe in something else. I already had in my mind a picture of him making out with a model, who was clearly way prettier than me. Even if I tried, I couldn’t get rid of the picture. It was playing with my emotions and my thoughts.

“Miss Owens, could you repeat what I just said?” my History professor asked me with her strict tone. She was a woman in her 40s. She had blond hair with dark highlights and she wore her black glasses. She was a bit chubby, but that didn’t stop her from always finding a right and elegant outfit to wear. She was that type of a professor who liked their authority and discipline on class. Everyone was scared of her and because of that no one spoke a word. I kept looking at her dark brown eyes that ate my soul piece by piece as I didn’t know how to answer her question. It was unacceptable to say I don’t know to her. She’d say that we didn’t try hard enough to succeed in what we’ve come there for. At the end, it was a grammar school - the best school you could attend in Belgrade. Her patience was running out. My heartbeat quickened and my palms started to get sweaty. I didn’t know what to do, how to act in this kind of situation.

“Professor, if you let me, you said that the most important dynasty of Serbia in the Middle Ages, and one of the most important in South-eastern Europe was the sacrosanct dynasty of Nemanjic.” said a very familiar voice coming from the back of the classroom. My head snapped to the left to look at the person although I knew who it was. The professor was horrified as someone dared to interrupt her moment of discipline. It was shown on her face that she was offended by the fact a student didn’t respect her authority as a professor. The vein on her forehead was about to pop out.

“Mister-” she stopped trying to remember Zach’s last name.

“It’s Henderson, professor.” he put it simply, his eyes looking right at hers. He didn’t even blink once. I was surprised how he could put up with her stare. All of the students watched intensely the current situation like an exciting film, patiently waiting for an unexpected scene.

“Right, Mister Henderson, who do you think you are to distort my authority? I simply don’t understand who gave you the right to talk when you clearly didn’t have my permission for it. Would you be polite to explain that to me before you start talking about the Serbian Empire?” she smiled with pleasure at him. If someone didn’t know her the way we did, he or she would think she liked to humiliate her students, but that wasn’t true. She only wanted the best for us and that was to succeed in life and to graduate with a maximum amount of knowledge.

That was the first time I’ve seen Zach run out of words, although I’ve met him that morning. We all knew what was left for him to do - to apologise and start talking about the theme the professor gave him. It’s like we had the power of telepathy as he did exactly the same. He knew so much about Serbian national history that he could teach the class instead of our professor. I can only say I was amazed as I didn’t like History at all. Nevertheless she was satisfied with his knowledge, she told him to stay after class for a serious conversation with her. I didn’t understand why he stood up for me so much. What was that something that was so interesting about me that he felt the need to protect me every time I’d get into trouble? Having this kind of doubt only made things worse. I was even more confused as I didn’t have the answers to the questions I would keep asking myself. The bell informed us the classes were over for that day as everyone jumped from their seats and flew out of the door. I, on the other hand, took my time with packing books as I wanted to hear what she will say to him.

“Miss Owens, could you, please, hurry up? I need to get this conversation with Mister Henderson done as fast as possible.” she said with her annoyed voice as I was slacking around so I could complete my goal.

“Of course, I apologise.” I obeyed to her request as I threw all the books in my bag and headed to the doors.

“Oh, and one more thing.” she added as I turned around to look at her “I want you to do a five thousand words essay on the Nemanjic dynasty due Thursday. Mister Henderson, being polite as he is will be more than happy to help you. Isn’t that right?” the professor said turning to Zach as he nodded in abeyance. I politely said goodbye to them and exited the classroom.

Why did she do that to me? It was like she didn’t know what was happening in my pathetic life. How was I going to do a five thousand words essay on something I don’t even get!? That mystery with Zach needed to end immediately. I was determined to wait for him in front of the classroom and finally get answers to the questions I’ve been constantly asking myself. I sat on the floor and crossed my legs. That was it. It was going to end then forever. I was done with mystery. I didn’t need it in my life.

After a while of sitting there all alone and looking at my phone, the doors opened and the boy I was waiting for came out. He walked passed me like I was a ghost. I certainly didn’t understand his actions and I needed to get things straight with him. I quickly got up grabbing my bag and ran after him.

“Wait! Zach!” I yelled trying to get his attention. Nothing. Why was he ignoring me? He was a totally different person when I met him that morning. What happened to that guy? I ran after him until I was a feet away. I grabbed his arm and made him turn to face me.

“What?” he said coldly.

“Why are you always saving me?” I tried to ignore the coldness in his voice, but it was so hard and catchy. It made me feel angry and even more unsatisfied with things happening around me.

“I see you can’t do it yourself, so someone has to look after you. Get a grip, Nicole. This isn’t a game.” he spat at me. What was he trying to do? He was trying to say I don’t know how to look after myself?  

“You don’t know me! You don’t know anything about me! So shut your mouth hole!” I yelled at him as tears started running down my face. As he saw it, his face expression softened when he went to say something.

“You know what? Just, forget it. Forget you even met me. I can look after myself. You’re not a superhero.” with that being said, I turned on my heel angrily and walked away from him. The moment I turned around the corner I started crying. I needed a hug. I needed Harry’s hug. It seemed like everything was coming back to him. I needed him to be here with me, to wipe the tears away like he always did. It was unnecessary for me to get that feeling I only had when I was with him. I wasn’t sure how aware I was that was impossible.