Chapter 2- A Suitable Arrangement

"Ouch! By gods teeth, Veronica! Not so hard! I'm sure Anna wants me back in one piece!" Gotfrid complained after Veronica knocked him down for the fifth time that morning. Ever since that faithful day, she had trained till her body almost dropped dead from exhaustion. It had been hard for her to stay awake for the rest of the day, but in her mind it was worth it. The ability to defend herself from the world instead of relying on men. She loved her father and brother, but she had to face it. They were messes. Veronica had no idea how her mother and Anna felt safe.

Her brother had married three years after he made that promise to her. Veronica's sister in law, Anna, was everything that a proper lady should be; gentle, proper, and completely dependent on men for her protection. It made her sick. How could women have declined so much?

"Well, you should have considered that before you agreed to teach me." She responded smartly, pointing her sword at her brother's throat, winning the bout. After helping him up, Veronica began heading back toward the sparing range. "Isn't it true that every student outdoes the teacher?"

"You know, if I wasn't used to your annoying little mouth, I would have slapped you."

"As if you could have."

"Perhaps if I did it like this." Gotfrid replied, tackling her to the ground. Not to be defeated, Veronica wormed out from under beneath her brother and sat atop of him, and in doing so, slapped him.

"Do you mean like that?" She asked smugly, looking down at her brothers scowling face.

"Yes, but a feeling a little more like I did the slapping." Gotfrid grumbled to his arrogant sister.

"You do know that's not going to happen, right?" Veronica smirked, getting off her brother and walking on.

"A man has hope."

"Does he now?"

"Shut up."

"Yes brother mine."

By the time their banter ended, they were halfway to the sparring field. "Hand me your sword. It would be hard to explain you walking onto a sparring field with it."

Veronica sighed heavily and gave Gotfrid her sword, stalking of huffily to the castle to make herself up for the day.

Just as she reached the castle doors, her mother came scurrying out, frantic. "Oh, heavens Veronica! Where have you been? You're a mess! Come, we have guests today. We can't have you looking like that, now can we?" The Lady Helena Volknar exclaimed at her daughter, pushing her into the castle.

"Who is this guest, mother? And why are they so important?" Veronica questioned, following her mother down the hall, defeated.

"Well, his name is Arnulf and he is the Lord Burchard's son. He's here to meet you and perhaps discuss castle designs with your brother."

"He's not a suitor is he? Please tell me he's not." Her daughter begged, horror in her eyes as her mother fidgeted uncomfortably.

"Well......"

Veronica groaned. "Must I to meet him?"

"Yes. You're getting older and most girls your age are married and pregnant with their second child. Your brother's children may not survive and we're not taking that chance."

"But what if they do?"

"But what if they don't? I refuse to take that chance."

"Great..." Veronica muttered, following her mother into her room and closing the door. "Selling your daughter off to the highest bidder. That really says 'I love you'."