[3]

Ivan found me weeping silently in a corner of the room, so he strode up to me and bent down.

"Natasha, why are you crying?" He asked with feign politeness.

In between sobs, I managed to mumble, "I, I killed my best friend. I killed an innocent girl. Vanessa was my best friend.."

"Natasha, look at me. This is the Red Room. This is where girls die. No emotions. No regrets. No best friends. No sorrow."

"But humans are made to feel ourselves. We need to have feelings, that's what my papa used to tell me."

"This is different. This is not your home. This is your orphanage."

Before I could answer back, he cut me short, and I returned back to class together with the other girls. I had English and Russian classes throughout the day, but even though they were my favourite languages, I could not concentrate at all. I felt as if I owed her a debt.

Lunch soon rolled around and we had mashed potatoes and broccoli. The moment I sat down, a lady locked my hands in a chain. The chains were connected to a main lock underneath the table. The same was done for all the girls. I loved potatoes and broccoli, especially when they were put together. However, the empty seat beside me caused hot tears to well up in my bloodshot eyes.

On my left was a void, left forgotten. On my right sat Peggy. I didn't really know much about her, so I resolved to talk to her. "Hi, would you like to be friends?" I whispered to her, even though I knew that in the Red Room, we were not supposed to talk to each other neither were we allowed to make friends.

"Sure..." She mumbled, even though she seemed hesitant. We then started talking about our own lives, where we came from, et cetera.

I had just met a new friend. And I was determined not to lose this one. Not after Sparring Day. I just could not.