[25]

I slid the pocket knife back into my pocket, and trudged along the darkest alley, kicking up piles of sand. I was back from a mission. Empty-handed again. I was sure to get in trouble later on.

"So, Natalia. Lavosky, killed?" Ivan asked, making me gulp. "No." I responded, even though I tried to sound firm. As usual, I got kicked out onto the streets. Time for another bout of assassinations.

Suddenly, I heard it. "Mummy! Where are you?" I hid behind a wall and craned my neck to get a better view. There was a boy, standing there with a teddy bear clutched close to his chest. Ivan's reminder floated back into my mind. 

"Natasha, remember, kill anyone you see. Age, gender, appearance; they all don't matter."

For a moment, I was caught in a web of dilemma. He looked innocent, so vulnerable. And here I was, trying to kill a boy who had done absolutely nothing to me. I couldn't just let him fade away. I couldn't.

Skipping the bad thoughts, I retrieved my knife. Its rubbery handle gripped onto my palms. As I was about to reveal myself in full view, a middle-aged lady ran up to the boy. "Leonid! Where have you been?" She shouted, in between sobs. 

Watching this scene tore my heart from the inside. Realization that I didn't have my mother dawned on me. The scenes started to replay in my mind again.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Natalia! You'll be fine!" Mother screamed, as chunks of burning wood fell onto her. They scalded her delicate skin. The house was going down, fast. I was trapped under the dining table, feeling hopeless. My father brought me into his embrace, curling up into a fetus-like position. 

My mother took one last look at me, and proceeded to be devoured by the flames. I couldn't control my emotions anymore. I let tears of fear, sadness, and anxiety flow down my burning, hot cheeks. The flames made it even worse. Before I could bawl, I felt two arms loosen around me. No. Not Father. He couldn't die. One death was more than enough.

My fears came through. They were both dead. No turning back. A lanky, well-built man rushed into the house and carried me away. I didn't know who he was. All I knew was that he had saved me, and I would be eternally thankful.

From then, I never saw my parents again. They were gone. They had left behind nothing but me. I longed for their protection, but the role of parents had been switched to Ivan. He could never make up for my Mother and Father. He was just not the same.

  .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-