Chapter 1

When The Going Gets Tough

Chapter 1

(Christina's P.O.V.)

"You know who I think is really cute? Blake. Blake Monroe," commented my some-what friend Lexi in a muffled voice, probably from the fact that she was shouting her love life to me from inside a dirty bathroom stall at school. Figures.

I froze, stomach dropping, my hands hanging in mid-wash under the cool running water from the sink's rusty faucet. "What?"

"You know who I'm talking about Christina! That tall guy with blue eyes and brown hair. I think he plays baseball," Lexi explained in what seemed like a annoyed tone of voice, acting as if I was an idiot for apparently not knowing who Blake was.

Resuming the washing of my soapy hands, I spoke through gritted teeth to her. "Oh yeah, that kid. Yep, he's pretty cute," came my strained response, as I turned the sink's faucet with a aggressive twist of my wrist. My mind began to race at the mention of Blake, directing angry thoughts at Lexi in addition.

Blake? Yeah, I knew who that boy was. So did my diary and all my trusted best friends, who I both confined in daily. With being one of our top conversation pieces, along with bitchy girls and crazy ex-boyfriends, Blake was a known name in our tight as chains group of friends. The reason? He was, and would always be, my top crush. I had liked him for at least a year, knowing him from school, my early years of baseball, and as a neighbor of one of my many friends. Though I actually didn't know him that much, I had found from my classes at school and scarce but treasured meetings in the hallways with him, that Blake was sweet and incredibly hot. But as much as I hated to admit it, I was pretty sure he didn't even know my name, though I planned to change that fact...

I clenched my now clean hands, squeezing my eyes shut in frustration. But now stupid Jasmine had to go along and go all lovey-dovey over him, screwing my plans up majorly. So thank you Lexi, thanks a lot. Not.

"....ask him out tomorrow, what do you think?" came a voice through the haze of my dark, cursing thoughts. I looked up in confusion to find Lexi's dark brown eyes staring into my own baby blue ones.

"Um, what?" I questioned again, wondering how many times I was going to ask that word in this conversation of ours. Probably a lot, I wasn't good at paying attention. Just the other day I had gone through a whole class period of lecturing, and had managed to miss every word said, which then...

I shook my head, clearing my distracted thoughts. Lexi rolled her eyes, and slowly repeated herself. "I said, I was thinking about asking Blake out tomorrow, what do you think?" she repeated confidently, flipping her shoulder length dark brown hair and fluttering her overly applied mascara and charcoal rimmed eyes at her own reflection in the cracked bathroom mirror.

I stiffened, my body going from shock to anger in seconds, the bright blue nails of both of my hands bit into my palms. As much as I would have liked to sink my fist into her cute little Hawaiian face, I knew that nothing good would come out of my anger blinded actions. With no explanation, considering she didn't even know I liked Blake, I could get into major trouble with the school, and besides, it wasn't like I was dating him or anything.

I opened my mouth with a sassy retort that coincidentally rhymed with "duck poo itch" in mind, and then closed it again, biting my tongue. No, better not insult her, who knows the havoc Lexi would wreak after a smartass comment like that. Though we were both pretty popular, Lexi knew more people, had more power, and the mistake of insulting her could make my life a bigger teenage headache then it already was. I swallowed, cowering under the intensity of her stare, wondering how I could tell her to forget about Blake. But in the end, the most logical thing out of all my ideas was punching her in the face, which I unfortunately couldn't do.