Chapter 8

When The Going Gets Tough

Chapter 8

(Tyler's P.O.V.)

"Tyler."

"What?"

"Your bacon's on fire."

I stared blankly at Blake, my brain slowly processing his words. Rolling his eyes in exasperation, Blake pointed over my right shoulder, nodding in the direction of his stainless-steel stove. As soon as I glanced towards the afternoon snack I had been in the process of making, a large gust of smoke sent me spiraling backwards into a fit of violent coughing. Finally, once I had managed to suck in a pathetic amount of oxygen, Blake's statement suddenly registered.

"My bacon!" I shouted, bouncing from one foot to the other, flapping my hands uselessly in front of the steadily burning crisps. Realizing that this was of no help at all, I desperately searched the area for something to put out the fire. Of course, there wasn't a fire extinguisher in sight, and the fire department wouldn't be here for another couple minutes, if I bothered to call them. What the hell was I supposed to do?

"God, I'm too young to die!" I screamed in aguish, kicking the nearest cabinet in frustration, causing a plastic cup to tip over on its side and spill a large amount of soda on the countertop. The liquid splattered in all directions, sending droplets flying towards the growing flames.

Wait a second.

Water.

Fire.

I'm an idiot.

"Water!" I leapt forward, grabbing a large, green plastic cup from the dish rack, and flicked on the faucet, filling it to brim. Then, without even bothering to shut off the tap, I sprinted to the stovetop, and dumped the cup's contents onto the disintegrated bits of meat. Immediately, a hiss issued from within the burnt depths, and I stumbled back slightly in alarm. After I was sure that I wasn't in any immediate danger, I leaned back against the edge of the opposite countertop, panting slightly.

From my left, a slow clap followed by a deep chuckle caused me to jump.

"Bravo, dude," Blake said, shaking his head, a grin spreading across his face. "That was pretty impressive, though I suggest you brush up on how to put out a fire, because you seemed a little lost there."

"Shut up," I muttered, turning my back towards him, facing the charcoal bits of bacon. "I was freaking out, what the hell was I supposed to do?"

Blake laughed and stepped forward, slapping my back. "Tyler, I was joking. Anyways, it doesn't matter; I don't think that bit of crap's edible anymore."

We simultaneously dipped our heads to peer down at my creation, and took in the unappetizing site. After a moment of contemplating silence, Blake spoke.

"Yeah, that's nasty, let's grab a burger."

I looked at Blake, and then glanced down at my afternoon snack.

Or, what was left of it.

"Dude, good idea."

***

McDonald's was packed, with people literally sitting on the floor, waiting for food. Blake and I shoved our way through a group of non-English speaking foreigners, and finally reached the cashier.

"One cheeseburger, no pickles, extra ketchup," I glanced back at Blake, lifting an eyebrow. He nodded, and I turned back to the guy who was waiting to take my order. "And I'll have a cheeseburger, extra onions, no mustard. Oh, and two Cokes."

The boy nodded, yelled our order back to the man behind the grill, and then faced us again, and gave us the total. After we finished paying, and had grabbed our food, Blake and I swiftly made our way through the walls of people, and miraculously snagged a table in the corner.

Sitting down, I shot a quick look at Blake, and was startled to realize that his face was pale, a look of discomfort decorating his features. I frowned, and while reaching for my burger, cleared my throat, causing him to meet my gaze.

"Dude, what's up with you? You're acting weird," I started out cautiously, trying to read the strained expression in his eyes.

Blake pursed his lips slightly, and peered around the premises, obviously making sure that we were not going to be overheard. Facing forward again, he motioned for me to lean in, and I did without any hesitation. He sucked in a deep breath, and began to speak quietly.

"Tyler, I'm-"

"Blakey!"

Are you kidding me?

Seriously.

"Lexi, babe! What are you doing here?" Blake called out as he got up, pushing back his chair to wrap the brunette in a tight hug. Lexi giggled and pulled back, pressing her lips against Blake's cheek in a loud, wet smooch. Grinning, Blake turned his head and met Lexi's kiss, dipping her back slightly.

Wow.

I just threw up a little.

"Uh, Blake. Unless you're thinking about coming up for air anytime soon, I think I'll be leaving," I stated in slight annoyance, taking in the sight of the PG-14 rated scene before me with disgust.

Without bothering to look up, Blake waved me away, tightening his grip in Lexi's shoulder length, brown hair as he did so. I rolled my eyes, and collected my stuff, leaving the pair alone at the table. Just as I was in the process of stepping over the threshold of the heavy, metal door, a nasal voice called out my name from behind me, causing me to turn around.

"Tyler, I totally forgot! I'm having a Spring Blast at my house tonight, you should totally come!" Lexi yelled to me from over Blake's shoulder, a smirk spreading over her pink tinged cheeks.

Um, how about you go back to making out with Blake, and I stay home from your stupid party? That sound good, Lexi?

"Man, that sounds like loads of fun, but I can't! I've got to go, um..." I glanced around for a way out, and out of luck, an animal shelter poster caught my eye. "I need to go feed my dog! Yeah, my dog," I finished lamely, rubbing the back of my neck.

Both Blake and Lexi stared at me, and finally after a moment, Blake cleared his throat, frowning. "Bro, you don't own a dog."

Oh, right.

"Well, I mean, I guess I could go," I muttered, narrowing my eyes at Blake, telepathically sending him hate-filled thoughts. He nodded approvingly, and looked down at Lexi, who looked at me and replied with a strangely excited grin.

"Oh, my gosh! Awesome, I'm so glad you can make it! It starts around seven, I can't wait to see you there," she squealed, eyes wide with joy. Jeez, am I really that fun to have around at parties?

Oh, wait.

I'm a party animal.

Hah, everyone loves me.

"I'll be there, don't worry," I said, smiling slightly, turning my back to them as I walked out the door. "Oh, and make sure there's food!" I added, calling back to them over my shoulder. They laughed and bid me goodbye, and then resumed their making out.

Some things just never change.

************************************************************************

Hey y'all, it's Christina! :)

I hope you loved this chapter as much as I do, it just came to me as an inspiration. Hah, well, you know what to do, comment-vote-like and all that jazz! :D

TheAwesomeBlonde <3