Chapter 6

When The Going Gets Tough

Chapter 6

(Christina's P.O.V.)

            "All my life I've been good, but now..."

            I slammed my dark, blue locker and continued to sing under my breath.

            "I'm thinking, 'what the hell?'"

            Rounding a corner, I clumsily ran in our school's librarian, who constantly patrolled the halls with pen and paper, waiting to write up any unfortunate child that crossed her path.  I muttered a small apology, and continued on my way, avoiding the woman's eye contact.

            "All I want is to mess around,"

            Finally immerging out of the hell hole that I'm forced to call "school," I glanced around the front entrance, spotting in the distance Ana's lone figure.  I smiled gladly, happy that today's misery was finally over, and now I could go home and relax with my friends.

            "And I don't really care about-"

            "Christina!"

            Oh, my god.

            "Hey, Christina!"

            Lexi.

           The devil herself skipped up to me, a bright and shiny smile plastered across her face.  Flipping the lustrous, brown hair that framed her face over a shoulder, Lexi then proceeded to pull me into a death grip hug.  I awkwardly patted her back, trying to restrain myself from violently grabbing her neck.  After a moment or so, Lexi pulled back, flashing me yet another blindingly white smile.  Unsure of what to say or do, I pulled out my water bottle, and took an uncomfortable sip. 

            When in doubt, drink some water.

            "Christina Kaigel.  Oh, my gosh.  I can't tell you how happy I am, that I was able to have the chance to talk to you in the bathroom the other day.  Seriously.  If it hadn't been for you, I would never be able to work up the boobs to ask Blake out.  So, thank you." Lexi finished with a dramatic flourish, holding perfectly manicured hands against her heart. 

            Removing the edge of the bottle of water from my lips, I managed to raise the corners of my mouth into a forced smile, which probably came off as a grimace.  This chick needs to get her facts straight.  I did not, by any means, help her out.

            "Lexi," I began sweetly. "I seriously doubt that.  You're so pretty and confident; any guy would love to date you.  You would have been fine without my, um, help."

            As I began to take a second sip from my water, trying to indicate that I wasn't really in the mood to talk, but failed in my attempt to disengage the conversation.

            Lexi grinned, slinging a svelte, tan arm around my shoulders. "Oh, I don't think so, Christina.  To tell you the truth, I had actually been starting to think about not asking out Blake that day, but then after that conversation with you, I realized I was being ridiculous.  So really, I completely owe it all to you. You are the reason Blake and I are dating, Christina." 

            I was the… reason?

            WHAT.

            After this surprising statement, I choked on the water I had been currently swallowing, which in turn, earned me much slapping on the back from Lexi.  "Christina! Are you alright?" shrieked Lexi, pounding my back with a curled fist.