CHAPTER 5 - Argument

I was checking if all the systems were shut down in the lab before going to Lunch the next day when I heard someone enter, followed by a voice "Are you done?"

"Yes" I said firmly, walking towards Vinay "What are you doing here?"

I don't know how he know my time table. May be he went to the staff room or asked the administration department.

"I want to talk to you" he said, closing the door behind him.

I crossed my arms, staring at him seriously "What?"

"I told my mother about – um- your pregnancy" he said fearfully "And.. I tried explaining to her that you don't have money, you---"

"She told that you can have a child with another woman" I said simply.

"How do you know that?" he said, looking surprised.

"Isn't that obvious? Your mom wants money and a free servant girl for you. Why would she accept me?"

"I will keep trying" he said in almost a whisper.

I rolled my eyes and crept out of the lab along with him, locking the door.

"Shall we go to the cafeteria?" he asked, looking hopeful.

"Didn't you bring your box?" When he shook his head, I asked "Why?"

"Mom said she can't pack food so early in the morning"

I felt sad hearing that. Ever since our marriage, I never failed to pack lunch as he complained once that the food sucks at the mess here.

I wanted to say that I'd pack food for him from tomorrow, that he need not eat the food he hated so much. Instead, I only said "I brought my box"

"Oh. Um- fine then, I'll leave you to have your food peacefully" he said, looking expectantly as if he wanted me to say that I'd join him.

"Thanks" I said, striding away from him.

This is not the time to feel emotional. Yet, I can't help the tears streaming down my cheeks. It hurt me so much. I know he's going through pain seeing me like that but I feel the same thing too.

I can't forgive him. And I can't forget him.

Making my way to the staff room, I plopped onto the chair burying my face onto the desk.

I can't do this anymore. I can't.

"Tulasi?" I heard a voice and raised my head, finding Professor Parvathi looking at me. Quickly wiping the tears away, I croaked "What mam?"

"What happened? Why are you crying? Did that idiot husband of yours called or harassed you?" she almost yelled.

I don't know if it was her yelling or my crying that brought the attention of all the teachers onto us but every one of them walked up to me.

"What happened?" One of the sirs asked her.

She stood there with lips tightened and clenched fists before opening her mouth to speak "It's that bastard husband of hers and his mother. They threw her out of their house because she was not good enough for them. They want dowry to take her back"

I stayed silent not saying a word when my eyes landed on the other end of the room where the door was open with Vinay standing there, looking furious.

My attention was shifted back to the professor when she added "If I ever find out your husband or his mother, I promise I am going to kill them with my bare hands. Those people don't even deserve to be sent to Prison; they should be hanged"

"Madam. Control yourself" one of the professors said to her in a soothing tone.

"Look at her" Parvathi continued, pointing her hand at me "How beautiful and innocent she is. Why isn't she enough for them? Why can't girls lead a peaceful and happy life ---" Her lips trembled as her eyes watered and I was confused seeing her reaction.

Why is she so upset about me? I don't understand. I only met her yesterday.

When the other professors are consoling her, my gaze travelled back to where I found him only to see him eyeing me furiously.

I stood up walking up to him just as he strode away.

Following him towards the exit of the building, I yelled "Don't you know that I can't run after you?"

He stopped, turning back to me and shouted angrily "Why are you following me then?"

"Why did you come to me? And why are you leaving?"

"I came to request you to have lunch with me. And I am leaving because you have made a point of telling our story to everyone in--"

"I haven't told anyone besides Professor Parvathi. But, why are you even worrying about that? I only told the truth. I haven't said a single word that you or your mom didn't do" I snapped.

He stayed silent, glaring at me and I continued "Why are you angry at me? I haven't framed you for anything that you didn't do."

His expression softened a bit but he still looked upset and I added "If anything, you should be ashamed of yourself and your mother."

"Don't you dare talk about my mother" he said, raising his voice.

"What if I do?" I snarled, egging him on.

"You don't know what hard work my mom had to go through to make us financially stable. She handled our department store while taking care of me too. She has every right to lead a peaceful life now"

"You are right. She has" I said, lowering my voice "And I don't. I should listen to her taunts about my worthless parents, about how useless and pathetic I am, how you'd have gotten a richer girl if you didn't marry me, how I should bow to her and ask her before doing everything"

I paused, wiping the tears off my eyes "In spite of doing everything she ordered, I still got thrown away from your house. And you stood right in front of me, saying nothing."

"Tulasi--"

I raised my hand, urging him to stop while glaring at him "You know what, if you didn't want a partner, you shouldn't have married. But you wanted money which --"

"I never married you for money" he explained.

"Yeah, right" I said with a humorless chuckle while adding in a sarcastic tone "That's very easy to believe"

"Tulasi, listen to--"

"No. You listen to me. Enough is enough. I won't let you guys walk over my life" I yelled, looking at him furiously "And I will never let you near my child. I promise you that"

"You can't do that---"

"I will. The court will favor me; at least after I reveal everything about your family and the way you treated me. You want your mother? That's great but my child stays with her mother"

I shuffled away before turning back to him "Don't worry. I will not raise my child like your mom. He or she will not be money obsessed or scared to stand up for truth"

Having said that, I strode away, back to the staff room with various doubts running in my mind about Professor Parvathi. I am sure something happened in her life that made her lose her temper. The question is what? And to whom?

---

Thank you for reading. Please Vote, Comment and Share.

Do you justify Vinay's reaction about his mom? And do you think Tulasi did the right thing?

Any suggestions regarding who'd be appropriate to play Vinay are welcome. It's better if he is a Tollywood hero and equal to Tulasi (Kajal Aggarwal)since the story is set up in Andhra .

- JANAKI S