CHAPTER 6 - A terrible story

Three updates in a row. Yay!!! That's my way of making up to you guys for not updating a whole week.

---

I tried avoiding my husband in the next few days. I can't afford to lose my temper; it's not good for my baby. As much as I was dying to ask Prof. Parvathi, I didn't; thinking it's too early. I know I shared mine on the 1st day we met but I wanted to develop friendship before asking something so personal.

During my second week at the college, I finally gathered courage and strutted to her desk, sitting on the chair opposite to her, waiting for her to return from her class.

Five minutes after the lunch bell rang, she came to the staff room and frowned, seeing me at her place. It was always her who came up to my desk to talk to me.

"What's the matter?" she asked in worry.

"I wanted to talk to you about something" I said calmly and she took her seat frowning at me.

"Yeah, tell me" she said casually.

"Why do you feel worried and protective about me? We knew each other---"

"You remind me of my daughter" she said simply making me frown.

"I didn't expect that" I said shyly "So, what does she do?"

"She is no more" she replied gravely and I gasped in shock "My husband and I got her married to a guy; giving dowry of about fifty lakh rupees. We gave everything we saved up all our lives hoping she'd be happy. But, that wasn't enough for them"

She wiped the tears off her face as she added "Her husband and family wanted more money for some business he wanted to start. We told them that we didn't have any more left with us. We thought everything was fine when she stopped asking but she committed suicide after a few months unable to bear their tortures."

She clutched her handkerchief against her mouth, trying to mute her sobs of pain and I stayed silent, not knowing what to say.

"And the worst part?" she continued and my blurry vision shifted to her "She was three months pregnant when she killed herself"

"What happened to the guy?" I questioned, after a few minutes of silence.

She chuckled humorlessly "He married another woman within six months of her death"

"Wasn't he punished for everything he did?" I asked fiercely.

She shook her head "They created gossips that she was having an extra marital affair with her lover from college. They even said that the baby must have been his which was why she killed herself"

I gasped in shock hearing her. How can someone be so cruel?

"My daughter was my best friend and she never had a boyfriend. I'd have gotten her married to him if there was someone and she knew it. She will never hide something like that from me. I know her more than anyone else. But, they made her look like a slut in front of the whole society"

She was sobbing hysterically and so, I walked up to her, wrapping my arms around her. She hugged me and I closed my eyes painfully, feeling the depth of her pain.

No parent should ever endure such pain. This is too bad.

Now, I understood why she was furious that day. My life is so similar to that of her daughter's. She didn't want me to end up like her.

That minute, I promised myself that I won't. I will not end up like her daughter. I would rather drag Vinay and his family to court before accepting defeat.