Chapter 2

That girl... there was something about that girl... I can't keep my mind off her for some reason. Jess. What a lovely name. Damn it I should have learned more about her, I doubt I'll ever be able to see her again...

It was the dawn of a new day, well early afternoon actually, and Michael had just arrived at the theater where another filming of the Grail was being held. Michael's mind was consumed with thoughts of Jess ever since he had first met her a few days ago. As he walked into the theater he was so distressed by his thoughts that he hardly noticed Terry Jones' hello.

"Wha?... oh! Hi, Terry! What shape is the film in?" Michael replied as his absent thoughts receded somewhat back into his normal mindset. Terry seemed to be in a much brighter mood than he was at the past filming a few days ago which was a good sign.

"I think we're starting to get it working, Mike! I'm jolly sure today's reaction will be a hell of a lot better than before. We found that the movie was too serious, the music backing the movie watered down the comedy and made the violence too primary. But don't worry, I'll make sure Terry doesn't ruin it," Terry said jokingly to a dreamy looking Michael. About halfway through Terry's assertion Michael had completely zoned out as thoughts of Jess once again clouded his mind.

"Mike?" Terry asked narrowing his eyes as his dark eyebrows formed a questioning glance.

"Uh?" Michael stuttered, "Oh! Great, great! Good work Terry, very good," Mike managed to get out before patting a dumbfounded Terry Jones on the back and walking away.

"Something's up with him..." Terry remarked to himself as he watched Michael walk away.

Michael searched for a seat away from most of the other people who were present for the screening and found a chair in the middle row where he could be left mostly alone.

During the whole movie Michael tried his best to stay focused on the film; he really was interested in the state of the Python's film exploit. Noting his scene with the Knights of Ni with pleasure and John's excellent performance as the Black Knight Michael soon became reassured that the Terry's knew what they were doing and he elicited a sigh of relief. But in the back of his mind Jess kept appearing in Mike's thoughts.

As soon as the film was over Michael congratulated the Terry's, became entrapped in a quick conversation with Eric and then proceeded to exit the building. The warm June sun greeted Michael as he stepped out onto the street. Desperately wishing to sort his thoughts out Michael decided he would head for the park and take a walk in the comforting afternoon sunlight.

*****************************************************************************************************

Oh Michael... if only we could have had more time together. I miss you. If it's even possible to miss a person you've barely even met...

Jess lay musing on her bed as the afternoon sunlight streamed through her flat window. In her hands she clutched a white piece of paper as though it were a fragile object, and a picture of a handsome man. She looked at the piece of paper and read the writing on it aloud,

"To Jess with love, from Michael Palin."

Her heart melted and she kissed the paper softly. Then she looked at the photograph in her opposite hand—a dashing photo of Michael Palin, his luscious brown hair flowed softly in the wind as he sat with his teeth displayed in a laughing smile. Jess let out an audible groan of longing and her flat mate in the other room asked exasperated,