25. Blood Is Thicker Than Walkers

The Cafeteria

"Okay, so far so good", whispered Mason as they all crouched around the door that led into the kitchen."This is where it gets a bit complicated so I'll let Jasmaine explain since she's been to this school."

"Okay", said Jasmaine. "Behind this door will be where they serve the food. Behind the table is the freezer. Our goal isn't the freezer but the food storage which I have no clue where it's placed. But the layout of the kitchen is simplistic when it comes down to structure so all we really need to do is still to the walls and open any doors that may lead us to the non perishables. Understood?"

"Got it", said Mason. Julie nodded.

"So where do you want us to stand guard?" asked Lourdes.

Jasmaine went on to say."Behind the tables. You'll be able to tell us if something is approaching and if it does then the tables should be good enough to defend you since they have the glass that shields the food from the students. The glass is about a foot tall and the table itself is about 3 feet so you should be able to get it in the head. Anymore questions before we swoop in?"

"No. We're good." replied Kimberly.

"Okay. Thanks, Jasmaine" said Mason.

"No problem. Now let's move in."

"Right" said Julie.

He pulled open the door ready to strike the Vessel that had been waiting for his arrival. He planted his knife in the base of the skull and led the body to the ground quietly.

Jasmaine moved past him silently and caught another in the shin. It fell to one knee and she swung her staff with great force to the side of it's head. The skull had dove in a bit; just enough to kill it. Julie looked ahead and saw that the space behind the table was empty which meant that Kimberly and Lourdes were clear to stand guard.

The two girls moved behind the table while Mason, Jasmaine, and Julie moved on to look for the non perishables.

There only remained one Vessel. It was a teacher that must've thought it would've been safe in the school. Jasmaine noticed and rushed in immediately. She clipped his shin and he fell to one knee. Julie ran in from the side and stabbed it in the neck. It fell to the ground but the head was still intact. Mason took his knife and stabbed it through the eye and it went limp.

"Rest easy, Mr. Monte." whispered Jasmaine.

"Did you know him?" asked Julie.
"He was my Algebra II teacher", she replied. "Anyway, let's get to the food and hurry and get out of here as fast as we can."

"There's three doors. One of them is an emergency exit so it has to be one of the two on that side of the room" said Mason as he pointed to the left. "Let's take it one at a time to be extra careful. We'll open this one first. You guess ready?"

******************

Kimberly and Lourdes stood there and waited for the Vessels to come up to the table. One was closing in and eventually started to bump into the table. It started reaching for the two of them so they backed up.

"I got this one", said Kimberly as she walked up to it. She placed her hand on it's shoulder and stabbed it in between it's eyes. It went limp and slide down against the floor. Then suddenly there was a thud against the freezer door.

The girls looked at each other for a second and then Lourdes reached for the handle of the freezer but Kimberly quickly moved her hand away and questioned her as to what she was doing.

"I'm going to take care of it" Lourdes replied.

"You don't have to"

"I know but if I was locked in there I would've wanted someone to end my suffering", Lourdes said sincerely.