Hope Never Fades -chapter two-

Chapter Two: Diana POV

The lunch break ended and Karla wouldn't stop talking about Austin! I know I'm her best friend, but this obsession is starting to get on my nerves. I didn't need to ask a single question about him considering the fact that she spat his entire biography out at me in an entire fifteen minutes. Those proved to be the longest fifteen minutes of my entire life! Turns out, Austin lives around here. He's also twenty, which in my opinion, is way too old for her! Of course telling Karla this didn't do any good. She just kept telling me, "Love doesn't know age!" That's just ridiculous! I thought.

I mean, what if I fell in love with an old man? Gross! I can't even think of something like that ever happening. The bell rang, signaling us to our next classes. Karla and I headed to our lockers. I had Gym next, so all I needed was my gym bag which contained shorts, a white tank top, a comb, and deodorant. Saying my goodbyes to Karla, I turned around and started for the Girls' changing room.

I hurried and changed into my little outfit as the warning bell rang. Then, I headed for outside. I hated wearing shorts and tight tops! They feel so tight; like a second skin! It grossed me out. I don't need a second skin.

I was standing under the heat of the warm sun when I felt a hand going around my waist, pulling me closer until I hit something hard. My heart raced with immense fear. "It's okay, Diana; calm down" Whoever it was that was trying to harass me wasn't going to surrender so easily! I swung my elbow back as hard as I could; hitting someone in the side.

I felt the person flinch and slowly let go. I turned to give him a taste of my punch, but he just stood there, securely holding my fist in his palms. "Wow, feisty; aren't you?" He gave me a stupid smirk. Jake the Jerk was standing right before me. I tore my hand from his and scowled at him.

"Don't you ever touch me again!" That was all I had to say before he became angry, too and scowled back at me.

"I'll tell you again," he began. "No one disobeys me! You understand; no one! If I say to do something, you'll do it!" His jaw suddenly clenched and I could feel his eyes piercing through me. For a second, I was scared.

Get yourself together, stupid! My mind screamed at me. "I'm not your slave nor am I your puppet! Just who do you think you are? I may be shy and weaker than you, but I will not kiss your foot! Are you fucking crazy?" I hadn't noticed before, but I soon realized a few kids were staring at us. I'm sure the teachers inside could hear me; that's how loud I was screaming. My throat was beginning to get soar so I turned my back on Jake and sprinted towards the field where the others were already running. I jumped right in with everyone else and began doing laps. Ah, running!

That ass, Jake, didn't know what I've been through. And let me tell you, I've been through Hell. Look at me now, I'm still standing! I won't let him get to me. Stupid Diana! Why didn't you just let him sit in your seat? This never would have happened. But, what's done is done. I'll just have to ignore him and pray he leaves me alone from here on out.

"Hey Diana, I haven't seen you in a while." My buddy James said with a crooked smile.

"James, hey; how are you? How's your mom? I haven't seen her in a while. You look really good by the way!" James's mom is like my own mother. She's really kind and treats me like her own daughter, too. James has been my best friend since middle school. He once told me that he loved me, but I wasn't ready for a relationship. Especially, with my brother being sick and I having to work every day. I simple told him I can't and he soon got over it. I was glad he did; I didn't want to lose him. James has beautiful, silky brown hair with blue eyes. His body is tan and tall. Yes, he's tall; very tall, but not too tall.

"My mom's fine; she misses you. How's Brat?" He replied with saddened blue eyes. The only ones who knew about my brother was James, his family, Karla, and of course, me.

"He's doing good," I answer back with a sigh. "I just need to pay the hospital fees and they'll treat him." Tears began to well in my eyes. I knew that cancer patients die in most cases, but I refuse to lose my hope or my baby brother. I finally stopped running and laid on the ground. IT was cool despite the heat that we were being drowned in by the sun. I was breathless. So was James, I could tell. We had been running for fifteen minutes straight.

I stared at the sky for a while and then James cut the silence. "Why were you talking to that guy a while ago?" His voice was angry. Why's everyone so angry today? "He's dangerous. I don't want you to be near him."

"Like I want to; he keeps showing his dick face." I said, glancing over at him. He too was lying on the ground. "And what do you mean by dangerous?" For a moment, he just looked at me as I slowly propped myself up on my elbows.

"Never mind," he sighed. I watched as he looked away from my face and began to watch Jake from across the field. Jake was standing with his arms folded over his chest. He was staring at us. No, he was glaring at us with a straight face. That's when I gave up. I didn't need nor want to get into anymore trouble today.

The bell rang and James stood up. He gave me a hand and helped me up as well. I walked back to the dressing rooms so I could shower and change. I noticed how Jake was still standing there with his eyes glued to me. I tried my best to ignore it. Why couldn't he go bother someone else? I mean, I'm not attractive, but I'm not a nerd. And I don't have a sign above me that reads, "Bully me!"

The day passed quickly and soon it was my last class. I smiled in relief as the final bell rang. Finally, freedom! I had to restrain myself from running out of class. I quickly shoved my books inside my locker, grabbed my worn down book bag, waved goodbye to Karla, and hurried to get my bike. I wanted to go see Brat before work. And I had to remind myself that so I wouldn't forget.

I turned onto that street that led me to the hospital. The hospital was huge and I knew that, inside one of those many rooms, was Brat. I quickly parked my bike and locked it with a bulky looking chain. Entering the hospital always made me on edge. There was constant drama and sick people were scattered left and right. I had Brats room memorized and it didn't take long for me to find him.

Taking a deep breath, I entered the room. "Hey, baby bro."