Epilogue - The Legacy

The group of people who were gathered together couldn't be more different. Corinne and her wife sat at one side, together with Carlton, Gina and Jim.

At small chairs in the back she placed two unexpected persons, the old janitor of Georges company and the motel receptionist. They both felt obviously at the wrong place, the janitor was almost squirming.

The other side was occupied by Cynthia and Georges wife, together with Jason and John Smith who were bailed out by Georges wife. Since she didn't have any money of her own she got a loan from a bondsman to temporarily release them until the day of their trial. She expected to pay the loan back the second she could get a hold of her legacy. Cynthia, being the useless twat she was, sat at the chair and looked bored out of her mind.

Georges last lawyer sat in front of the group and cleared her throat. She knew what was coming and somehow she was really looking forward.

She introduced herself and condolenced the family. She saw Corinne leaning into her wife for support and she decided to make it quick. The young woman couldn't take anymore.

"I am here to read the legacy to you. It is written as a letter and the instructions are unmistakable and very clear." she looked at the group to make sure her next point was clear enough. "The deceased thought that a copy of his first legacy was held back, despite he told you different, Mr. Smith. I really hope he was wrong. You are already in deep trouble as it is." she continued. John Smith avoided her firm gaze and looked at the floor, trying to get the attention away from him.

She opened the sealed envelope and started to read.

"My name is George Kilminster. This is my last will. I am fully aware of all consequences. And since I really want to tell this to you and not only through the voice of a lawyer, I would appreciate if you shut up for a few minutes and listen."

Carlton let out a low chuckle. That was the George he knew. The lawyer couldn't suppress a smile either.

"As for my wife, my daughter Cynthia and my son Jason: You can consider yourself as disowned. My wife can stay in the house and she is allowed to keep her personal things. But other than that, she is not inheriting anything. With each sign of hostility against Mrs. Corinne Mendez, her wife and her children she has to leave the house within three days.

You lost the right to call me a husband the moment you blackmailed me into marriage thirty years ago. I hereby declare officially that I am not the father of Cynthia and Jason Kilminster, the paternity test I made long time ago gives proof of that. I paid for the education of the both and now they are on their own. The results of the paternity tests are attached to this legacy.

I refuse to acknowledge them as family anymore. Their kids are not my responsibility anymore. They never have been.

As for my beloved daughter Corinne" at that point Georges wife gasped loudly and the lawyer looked at her sternly.

"As for my beloved daughter Corinne and my grandchildren I established a trust fund for each of them, covering cost of living, tuition and a regular income. I name Mr. Carlton Jones as responsible for their wellbeing. The property of the house is part of the trust fund of Mrs. Corinne Mendez, her children and her wife, as long as they are married.

I also established a trust fund, covering the legal costs in case my former family dares to object this legacy. In that case my wife has to leave the house within three days after filing the complaint.

As for Mrs. Gina Rossi, my secretary, she will inherit the sum of 200.000 Dollar to use as she pleases. Gina? Go buy the house of your dreams, and when you sit on your porch, together with your family, take a glass of wine and think of me. Would you?"