Young, Wild, and Free

Riverton High

     A school in Brooklyn, New York, a place where everything started – Memories have been made inside and outside of its premises, the sweetest part of my life where I actually thought that childhood promises were real. Things like: ‘I promise you, we’ll never part.’ and ‘I’ll take care of you, I promise.’

     Liar, liar, pants on fire!

     Seventeen years of growing, I realized that they were all just the jerks of the year. I didn't know why those promises always echoed in my head. They came from no one in particular. I just kept on hearing them.

     My trail of thoughts broke when someone posted an announcement by the bulletin board as everyone ate at their own tables. It was only 11’o clock am, lunch time, and yet, everyone was acting as if they got invited. The theme of tonight’s party was ‘Kiss and Ditch’. Boys were betting on who get the most kisses after ditching their target. Jocks huddled in the center, flirting with every girl in the room, probably planning who they’ll kiss tonight.

     It was, after all, Tristan’s ‘clique’ party. If I were to list all the known people in this school, I’d definitely run out of paper. Noah, Tristan, Blake, Delilah, Alec, and Heather were some of the few most known. They mostly ruled the entire seniors, pulled strings, and placed drama wherever they went.

     “Yo, party at Tristan’s tonight!” Noah announced, his sandy brown hair sticking up in every place. “Everyone can come.” He smirked and sat back down with his group.

     Just like that, everyone talked and chattered with one another. How can this school be so cliché?

     They had their own groups and places. My kind of group only belonged to people who didn’t give a damn. I used to have friends, but that all changed when I got more… intense.

      Good thing I still have someone who was willing to risk her reputation. Angel Ashward used to be in cheerleading team, but then she quitted and enjoyed her simple life. Angel appreciated all my efforts of fending off the guys for her. I was their scary-dairy. The girl who kept punching other people’s faces for no reason, well, what can I say, I have trust issues.

     The doors of the cafeteria swung open, and there stood the duo. Mason and Blake – my two hell of a matching punching bags. Mason’s name felt so dry in my mouth that it sickened me to the pits of my stomach. He was the worst of all of them. Take his seat and you’ll instantly receive a bitchy fight with his girls’ fan club. I could also say that he ranked as first based on the popularity poll. Blake came in second and Tristan was third.

     Instantly, the whole room quieted down. They knew when to shut up. Mason emitted a dark and dangerous aura. Everything screamed ‘Get help! Get help!’

     Mason Aspen stood and towered almost everyone. His face had a deadpanned look on it. The intensifying icy cold glare he sent to everyone made them all continue with eating. I knew I shouldn’t be looking, but I couldn’t help it. There was this curiosity inside me that was eating me. After all, who would notice someone seated in the corner of the room, all alone? Plus, he hid his face well under his baseball cap so it seemed like it was only his eyes that were present.

     “Lisa, don’t sit there.” A hushed voice told Lisa, the whale, who was sitting on Mason and Blake’s usual spot.

     It turned out that Lisa had been a little too late as the two approached her.

     Mason’s jaw locked as he exhaled a sharp breath, “Move.” His tone was sure, definite even and pure of annoyingness.

     Lisa nodded and her lips trembled in fear. No one messes up with Mason. He ran this school as well as any prince could. Lisa then turned, murmured a sorry and scrambled away.