1

There is always that one person in a family that has the most beautiful features. It is rare, but it also happens that they have the best personality. They might also have a special talent or gift. Not to brag, but that's me.
Everyone knows it and everyone says it. They say it so much that I sneak away to get some peace and quiet everyday. That's how I discovered my "gift" a couple days ago.
I was swimming in the sea, in search of some shells and jewels for our hair. I was about to pick up what looked like a tiny diamond when I sensed some sort of tension. I followed my instincts and I came to a dolphin. I smiled and tried playing with it but each time I got close to it, my hands would tense up and I'd feel a rush of energy. Not excitement but a warm feeling wash over me. The dolphin came closer to me and that's when I saw a gash on its side. When I went to touch it, my hands glowed a coral green. I placed my hand on its cut and when I removed it, the only thing left was a rubbery scar! When I looked up from my hands, I saw the dolphin speed off into the distance.
When I arrived to our underwater cave, I told my oldest sister, Ula.
"I had a feeling it would be you." Is all she tells me, not looking surprised at all.
"If you knew about this, why didn't you tell me. And how did you know about this?" I reply, utterly confused.
"Mother told me before she handed you girls to me. She said not to say anything until signs appear. She also said that when the Age is reached or is near, the signs should start to appear." I'm not sure if that was supposed to rhyme but I admire my sister for being able to remember that for seventeen years.
"So this is normal? Does anyone else have... A gift?" I ask, not sure what to call it.
"No. Only one member of the generation can have the gift."
"The gift? You mean there's only one kind? To heal animals?"
"Yes and it's not just animals you can heal. Humans too, just not sirens or mermen."
And with that, we swim out and tell our other sisters. To celebrate, we sing our mother's song with all of our heart that night.