Chapter 2

'Get off me!' I shrieked, trying to push the woman off.

'Mikkayla! We thought you got lost or something!' the woman squeaked in my ear. 'There was reports about a missing 23 year old girl but they didn't identify who it was, and even worse, you weren't responding to our calls and texts. Oh, I'm so glad you're okay!'

I heard sobbing sounds and sighed. The weight of the woman was starting to hurt my chest and she wouldn't move. I didn't even know who she was! I started to wriggle, managing to push her off slightly. The woman mumbled something I didn't hear and picked herself up from on top of me. I breathed in and crawled up from the floor, clutching the back of my head. I hit it on the ground when I was knocked over and now it felt like there was a dagger imbedded in my skull. I winced, stared at the woman and the girl who were standing a few feet away now and hobbled over to my motel door.

'Are you okay?' a high-pitched voice called. I turned my head towards the girl who looked scared.

'Yes,' I snarled 'I'm perfectly fine. How could I not be, when I was basically tackled to the ground by some crazy lady, making me whack my head on laminate flooring! Even worse, I'm being asked if I'm 'okay' by a freaking 6 year old who witnessed it!'

I turned back to the open doorway and stepped inside, slamming the door behind me, making the walls vibrate. I walked over to my bed on the other side of the room and plopped myself down. My head was still sore and there were little black dots forming at the corners of my eyes.

I sat there for a while, with my hands resting against my temple. Thoughts drifted across my mind; most of which involved the woman and the girl named Ellie. I really didn't know who they were, although they did, surprisingly, ring a bell..

After 'convincing' myself that the whole episode might've been a misunderstanding, I decided to order room service. Apparently the food was top notch and the service was amazing but I wanted to be the judge for myself.

I slowly got up off my bed and walked to the telephone located in the kitchen. As I stepped on the tiles and shivered, I remembered I had no shoes on. Gross! I was even out in the hallway without them! Who knows what could've happened out there. Shaking my head, I reached for the phone. The room service number was printed on a piece of paper directly above the phones receiver. I searched for the number, which was hard considering all the other service and office numbers there were. I finally found the number and dialled it, listening to the ring tone.
Beep, beep.
Beep, beep,
Beep, beep
While I waited for it to connect, I started to think about Jayden. Hopefully he would be back soon because we were going to Disney World! We were in California, and I was really excited.

'Hello, Natural Easiness Room Service here, how can I help?'

I tore from my thoughts about Disney World.

'Uh hi. I was wondering if I could order? Because I don't know how this setup works... Is there a menu?' I replied. I couldn't find a menu anywhere, and they usually had a button for room service to come to your room.

'Of course. Only recently we changed the way we do room service because we thought this was more efficient instead of having people rush to rooms. Now, about the menu. There is a plastic holder hanging on the wall next to your door. If you flip through the booklets in there, you should find a menu. If not, then we will send someone up for you. Oh and by the way, feel free to take any of the pamphlets in there.'

I made my way over to the door, thankful for the cordless phone. I flipped through the papers, a lot of which were advertisements, until I found the menu. I pulled it out and flipped it open. It was fancier that what I expected. The whole thing was in cursive, other than the section titles and 'menu'.

'It's here. Do I just tell you what I want, or?'

'Yes. Take your time. Unfortunately, you can't have anything from the lunch section until eleven o'clock.'