Chapter 5 - Biology Partners

I am awoken to the sound of my annoying alarm clock. I sighed and got up, and began my morning routine. Before I grabbed my bag and left my room I hear the front door slam. As I walk down the stairs I heard the sound of glass shattering on the wall.

I rushed to see what it was. I walked into the kitchen only to find my mother on a rampage, muttering "sun of a bitch drank my Vodka" and laughing coldly.

"Mom?" I said, a little surprised she was awake. She must've stayed out later than usual.

She came to a sharp stop and whipped her head around to look at me. They were stone hard but suddenly softened when she looked at me. "Hey baby." she slurred.

Of course she's drunk.

"I haven't seen you in a few days, how's cheer going?" she swayed, grabbing the counter for support.

Really? You haven't seen me in a week and wanna know about cheer? What about how I'm doing? What I've been up to?

Sometimes I wonder if she even cares about me anymore.

"It's good." I sighed, shaking my head in disappointment. I walked over to the bread keeper and took a cinnamon bagel.

"You win any good competitions lately?" she asked after a moment.

"Well, Regionals are tomorrow. Not that you care." I said lowly, spreading cream cheese on the bagel.

"Of course I care."

"Are you gonna come?"

Silence.

"Yeah. That's what I thought." I said bitterly before wrapping up my bagel, grabbing my keys and walking towards the door.

She's never come to one game. Not one competition. I look like an orphan at those things.

"Kayleigh..." I heard her whine before I shut the door. I sighed.

I miss my mom. My real mom. The sober one who actually gave a shit about life. About me.

She left right along with my father.

I walk into the school and went straight to my locker, throwing my books into my book bag.

Thanks for putting me in a bad mood, mom.

"Hey babe." Brad walked up to me and kissed my cheek, but his eyes never looked away from his phone.

He's been super into his phone lately, it's weird.

"Hey." I said.

"Brought you some Cheetos." he handed me the bag.

"Thanks." I smiled weakly.

"...you okay? You normally bounce off the walls for Cheetos." he moved closer to me.

"Yeah. I'm fine. I'm just a little tired." I lied.

"Okay..." he said doubtfully.

"How'd the game go last night without us?" I smirked. Coach worked us to a pulp last night. She thinks we aren't ready for regionals so she extended practice and made us miss cheering at the football game.

"It was depressing." he sighed. "I mean, we still won, but scoring a touchdown wasn't the same without looking over and seeing you guys cheer us on." he slid his hands around my waist.

"Aw, you missed us?" I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Yes. Both of you." he pecked my lips twice.

Wait, what?

"Both of us? Who...who else did you miss?" I asked, trying to hide my suspicion.

He was quiet. "Uh..both of you, as in...Foxy!"