Chapter 1

(Mischief, Present time)

The bar was loud, people sweating and swaying to the beat of whatever song the bar played. Of course, my attention was focused on the swaying hips of the curvy red headed female on the edge of the crowd dancing on center stage. Her skin was tan, her emerald eyes clouded over, which made me think she had taken some sort of drug.

"Chief, I swear to the Gods I will kick your ass if you don't listen. We are here to meet with the neighboring pack, not to pick up sluts from the dance floor. Focus!" My twin sister, Mayhem, snarled in annoyance.

I sighed. She was right, of course, but when the alpha we were suppose to be meeting was late, I deserved to be able to have a little fun while waiting. Of course, last time I had tried picking up a hot chick during an important meeting, my sister had kicked my ass. I guess I'll just have to be more careful not to get caught this time.

"Of course sister dear, you are correct. But you do admit that you're bored waiting for that damned man to show up, right?" I knew it annoyed her to admit anything.

"Of course I'm bored, but unlike you, I can be patient. Also, if you had been paying attention and not drooling over a drugged slut, you would've noticed the female shifter in the corner who's ordered one drink since she got here, which should I mention, was a few minutes after we arrived two hours ago, and she's not taken one drink of it. She also has kept her eye on us this entire time. Had you been alone, you would've left with the druggy, and allowed this shifter to follow you back to our pack. She would be able to kill dozens of our pack by the time that slut got your pants down." Mayhem got angrier as she spoke, and I glanced to the corner, where there was in fact a shifter sitting in the corner, nursing the sweating bottle in her hand.

She didn't look like any shifter I'd seen before. Her skin was pale, almost white, and tattoos lined her arms and any exposed skin. Her hair was shaved on both sides, leaving three inches in the middle with waist length neon green hair that she had French braided down her back. Her septum was pierced, and her mercury silver eyes were piercing. I sniffed quietly, trying to smell out what kind of shifter she was, and got nothing. No scent whatsoever. I frowned. If she is working for the Rogues, and she was able to follow us here undetected by Mayhem or myself, than that meant she was threat number one right now.

"Finally, he's here," Mayhem muttered and stood, plastering a smile on her face, "Alpha Ajax, I am Alpha Mayhem and this is my Beta, Mischief. Nice to meet you, finally." She dug at him a little with the last part.

He ignored it. "The pleasure is all mine, Alpha. I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, there was trouble with the pack I had to sort out." He seemed to stand about 8 inches taller than my sister, and she was 6 foot. His smile, contrary to her's, was genuine.

He had his black hair combed back, and his neon green eyes stood out against his golden skin, and even while he seemed relaxed, his eyes were alert. He studied my sister and I, our pale skin, pure silver -white hair, and while I had gotten mom's ice blue eyes, my sister had inherited our father's pure black eyes, making her even more intimidating to others.

"Well, now that we've got the pleasantries out of the way, how about we get to business now?" I stated bluntly, still eyeing the shifter in the corner.

"Of course, of course, my apologies. Mercury, why don't you come over here now and talk with us?" Ajax said, and the green haired female stood up and walked over to stand by his side.

"Alpha, Beta, this is my Beta, Mercury." Ajax introduced her, and she nodded to us.

"My apologies if I startled you two. Ajax sent me here to keep guard over you when he realized he'd be late." Her voice was slightly deep and gravelly, and the scar across her throat made me think that was the reason why. Her voice sounded slightly familiar, but I couldn't place where I'd heard it before. I frowned slightly. Whatever. I just wanted to get this meeting over with.

******Kore******

I stood in front of my siblings for the first time in 15 years, and I wasn't sure how to feel. I was happy about the fact I could now see they grew up right, that I could interact with them again. At the same time, I was disappointed. They stared at me as if I were a stranger, but I guessed that was for the best. They might not take me still being alive the best way. And besides, I wouldn't recognize me either if I were them. My eyes had went from black to silver, my skin from tan to white, and I had shaved the sides of my long pure white hair and dyed the rest bright green. I had also gotten tattoos to cover the scars from my torture, and changed my name to Mercury.

It's sad. The war ended 15 years ago, yet the wounds still feel fresh.