03 | THREE

| KEEP YOUR MANO Y MANO PROBLEMS AT HOME

IT TOOK ALL OF EMMA'S COURAGE TO TELL COLE ABOUT THE MYSTERIOUS LETTER SHE HAD RECEIVED

IT TOOK ALL OF EMMA'S COURAGE TO TELL COLE ABOUT THE MYSTERIOUS LETTER SHE HAD RECEIVED. Her brother hadn't seen her in two years, and bringing up a possible doom to Ninjago that somehow connects to his sister probably wouldn't go well. "Do you play?" Lloyd wondered, standing next to the piano that Emma was leaning on, watching her brother converse with his friends on the other side of the room. 

The brunette smiled at the green ninja and nodded, "Since I could reach the keys," she reminisced. "My mom taught me music, my dad taught me dance," she added in. Lloyd offered her a sad smile, knowing that Cole never mentioned his mom. "What happened to her? I only ask 'cause Cole doesn't talk about her much. You don't have to--"

"A fire," she blurted out. "I was young, I don't remember much. But my father and brother said it was a fire. I guess that's where I got this," she said, lifting her chin so Lloyd could see the scar resting above her throat. "I'm sorry, it must have been hard."

Emma shrugged, "I honestly can't tell you. I wish I could, but every time I try to remember it all I see is colors. It's just not there."

Lloyd looked at the girl with sympathy, but lightly smiled when he noticed a proud look on her face as she looked towards her brother. "He really is a good ninja, huh?"

Lloyd laughed, "He's leader for a reason. He's never backed out of a fight, and he cares deeply for all of us. He treats Kai's sister like his own, sometimes."

"Girl issues?" Emma wondered, raising an eyebrow. Lloyd rolled his eyes, "If ever. I think it was more of a contest between who was better, Jay or him."

Emma scoffed and pushed herself off the piano, wandering over to where the four others were, and Lloyd followed behind. "Why do you boys always have to be better than each other? Leave your manliness at home," she told them, slinging an arm around Cole's shoulders. 

Cole glared at Lloyd, "You told her?"

The green ninja raised his hands in surrender and pointed at Emma, "Blame the brunette, not the blonde."

Jay cringed at whatever Lloyd said and tried to get everyone into an excited mode. He felt particularly happy that Emma and Cole had made up because now Nya would have a girlfriend to hang out with and wouldn't be disgusted by him - even though they were dating. "So, everything can go back to normal?" Cole asked his sister who looked down at her feet and shuffled on the carpet. "What's normal, Cole?"

"What do you mean? We're us again, the two Brookstones, the kids who can conquer anything. That's me and you!" 

Emma briefly closed her eyes and reached into her back pocket where the letter rested. Her hand felt the cold paper and she hesitated if she should tell Cole, or let it go and hope it was nothing. But her decision wasn't for her, it was for the greater good of Ninjago. If she didn't bring up the letter and it wasn't a joke, all of Ninjago would crumble because of her. She couldn't let that happen.

"This letter was delivered to me a few days ago. I didn't know what it was, or who sent it, and I haven't showed anyone. But I thought maybe you guys would have an interest in it," she admitted, pulling the folded paper and handing it to Cole who accepted it in confusion.

The ninja gathered around him as he unfolded it, and it was Kai who groaned when he realized it was in Japanese, "I can't read this! How can you read it?" he complained, gesturing to Emma. "I took Japanese last year."

Kai rolled his eyes and Cole passed the letter to Zane who began to read without question, "This isn't a mistake, no matter your thoughts. We have been waiting longer than you can imagine for this chance. Ninjago will be ours, and try as hard as you wish, but your attempts will only stop short of our power. Best wishes, and all the same, rest in peace," Zane finished, lifting his head as he finished the reading to stare at Emma who was biting her nails. It sounded even more threatening as Zane read it aloud.

"Why was this given to you?" Zane asked, squinting his eyes. "You are not even a ninja."

"More importantly," Jay jumped in, clearing his throat. "What does it mean? Who is coming after Ninjago, again?!" he cried out, his hands going to his hair and his knees hitting the ground. "If I had known that, there would be no reason for me to give you the letter, now would there?" Emma sarcastically snapped.

"What if there's a reason this was given to Emma?" Kai inquired, pacing back and forth around the room. "What do you mean?" Lloyd asked. Kai sighed and turned to face the group, "Sensei is always muttering about how he senses a greater power out there, something hidden. What if that power is inside Emma? Cole has an element, why can't she?"

"That is a very good point, brother," Zane congratulated, patting Kai on the shoulder. Cole shook his head, "No, no, no. We're not bringing my baby sister into whatever mess this is."

"Hello? Baby sister right here? I'm not saying let's make this theory true, but I want to know why this letter was addressed to me and not one of you. There are no coincidences in Ninjago."

"She's right," Jay chimed in. 

"I say we bring Emma, and this letter back to the Sensei Wu and my father and let them figure it out. Our strongest points are that this was given to Emma, and they're talking about how you, or she, won't be able to stop them. ANd it says they will stop short of their power, so if Emma does have an element, she won't suck!" Lloyd encouraged.

Emma turned and narrowed her eyes at the blonde, "Wow, thanks, Lloyd. Compared to the karate students of Dareth, you don't suck, either!" she cheered with a sneer. Lloyd looked purely offended and Jay laughed along with Cole, but Kai and Zane were too focused on the letter.

The only thing in Emma's mind, however, was if she did have an element, how could she leave her father and all his wishes behind?