Chapter 4

Jenson couldn't believe his luck. If Dr. Wesson was still performing his dream studies, Jenson might actually be able to participate, given his locale. He desperately needed to convince Dr. Wesson to meet with him. He was too obsessed with this subject now to just let it fall by the wayside, and he had to find a way to contact him.

Finding contact information for Dr. Wesson was easier said than done. Jenson was unfamiliar with which avenues to follow for finding contact information for someone. It took him almost an hour to finally dig up an email address, but when he did, it took him even longer to compose an intelligent letter that would be taken seriously. He didn't want to sound like a raving lunatic, even if that was how he felt.

Dear Dr. Wesson,

My name is Jenson Thorne. I recently had the pleasure of reading your article entitled Dreamscapes as Parallel Universes in the November 2010 edition of the Journal of Quantum Physics. I came across the article as I was doing research to better understand a peculiar event that occurred in my life this past week. I had a strange dream one night before a long road trip, in which I met a woman I had never seen before in real life. The next day, when I stopped at a gas station I had never been to, I met the woman from my dream. Strangely, she revealed to me that I looked familiar and then went on to tell me about a dream she'd had of me the night before. It was the same dream I'd had. The strangest thing about the instance was that her name was the same name with which she provided me in the dream. I can only conclude that somehow we met in the same dream at the same time. Your article and studies greatly intrigue me, and I wonder about the possibility of speaking with you about my incident and perhaps becoming a part of your study on dreams and alternate dimensions. I look forward to hearing from you and I appreciate your time. Thank you.

Jenson signed off and provided his email address, phone number, and mailing address. After clicking the "send" button, he felt his stomach tie into knots. How long would it be before he heard back from Dr. Wesson? Would Dr. Wesson take him seriously, or just delete his email and move on? He was determined to find out what Dr. Wesson knew, so he wasn't going to allow himself to be ignored. If need be, he'd become a pest until Dr. Wesson had to acknowledge him. For now, though, he played the waiting game.

When Maggie came home that evening, she didn't ask Jenson about his day or try to follow up with him regarding his research and Dr. Wesson. She simply announced that he was to get showered and dressed immediately as she had made plans with one of her friends to meet her and her husband for dinner, then she disappeared into the bedroom to change her clothes. He followed her into the bedroom.

"Seriously?" Jenson asked in disdain. "I can't stand Heather, and her husband is even worse. I don't even remember his name."

"Dick."

"What?" Jenson replied abashedly.

"His name is Dick."

Jenson laughed at his misunderstanding, then said, "Fitting. But why do I have to go? I'm pretty sure they can't stand me either."

"You're going," she said firmly as she rummaged through his clothes in the closet. "It's weird to go out with a couple and not have your own date. Then you just feel like a third wheel."

Jenson sighed heavily and grabbed the clothes Maggie had picked out for him. As he turned to leave the room, he mumbled, "You didn't even ask about my day." She said nothing.

In the car, Jenson told Maggie about the letter he sent to Dr. Wesson. If she wasn't going to ask about it, he was going to make her listen anyway.

"I tried to make it short so he might actually read the whole thing, but I hope I put in enough details to get him interested," Jenson said. "I just hope he responds, one way or another."