Chapter 3

Max's POV

I quickly smashed nearby pots and smashed some barrels that littered the streets. Every action I took caused Kathie to flinch however she didn't stop running towards the park. I should've known this would happen, why did I even think she stood me up? Kathie's as stubborn as a mule. I was beginning to lose hope when I caught sight of the alley ahead. It looked like she's heading there. I quickly ran and closed the gates so she's gonna have to take the longer route. She looked scared out of her wits.  

"I'm so sorry, Kathie. I know you're scared right now but I can't let you face the same thing that happened to me." I looked at her figure slightly trembling, I wish I could hug her right then and there. She suddenly ran to the other direction pulling me out of my thoughts, just as I was about to make my next move it began to rain heavily. I whipped my head over to where Kathie was and it looked like she didn't have a choice but to go back, her face painted with a sullen expression. 

As she started to run back to her house, I knelt on the ground and said thank you in every way possible, even in a different language. I'm so relieved. I looked at myself and realized that the rain is slowly melting me away. Well, at least I saved Kathie from that terrible fate. The thought made me feel at peace. Maybe dying is okay, knowing that Kathie will not share the same thing that happened to me.

I bowed my head down and waited for the rain to completely melt me away when I felt a presence looming above me. I instantly looked up and saw the girl I met on the road earlier. She was holding an umbrella and looking down at me with a smile on her face. "You did good, boy. I can't believe people like you still exist."

I stood up. "Uh.. thanks? It's a natural thing to do, caring for the ones you love. I'm not sure if you heard me back there but thank you, for what you told me.. and.. this umbrella." I said, still surprised of her sudden appearance. 

"Oh!" I suddenly chimed, glancing at her. She gave me a questioning look. "I forgot to ask your name." I said. She giggled softly and responded, "Just call me Anna."

"Okay then, Anna." I held out my hand for her to shake. But instead, she just looked at it as if analyzing what she'll do with it. "You shake it." I laughed. "Oh... OH! Yeah.." She responded and quickly shook my hand. She let go of it and looked up at the sky. 

"It's still raining." She whispered. "Well! I guess we better look for shelter where you cannot get wet from the rain." 

I nodded. "Let's go to my house, it's not far from here." Leading the way towards where I live, I felt Anna grab my arm. I looked at her and she had an excited gleam in her eyes. 

"I know a better place where we can wait out the rain." 

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ═══════

Kathie's POV

I still feel bad for not showing up at the park. Max might be really upset. Plus the fact that it rained too, but I hope he'll understand. I changed clothes and took a warm, quick shower and then went straight to bed. The sun's beginning to take its peek. I reached out to my bedside table and clutched the shell Max gave me like my whole life depended on it. Besides the guilt that has been gnawing at me I also felt sick in the pit if my stomach.

Something really isn't right. What was the deal about the invisible entity that grabbed my arm and the sudden noises around me? I lay on the bed shivering, replaying the events that transpired earlier. I closed my eyes trying to get some shut-eye, maybe everything will make sense later on. Out of nowhere, memories that I had with Max came flashing through my mind. A few minutes later, I welcomed the sleep that encased me.