Congratulations!

It was the early morning hours of Tuesday February 14th. The waves were gently sloshing upon the docks of the rickety pier. The cool ocean air was stale and unwavering.

I stood at the end of the dock staring out at the deep ocean only 500 meters away. I could faintly make out a squad of squid swim along the reinforced glass containing the city. They eventually glided away the more the false sun rose.

After the squid disappeared I turned and made my way down the pier. The rusted steel beams below me groaned like grouchy old men without their coffee. I passed various sub-boats of various colors and names.

The Beauty Below, Angel Catcher, Stacey; they floated in silence.

I made it to "land" and made my way down an empty sidewalk. As I continued farther from the dock and toward the city I saw more and more people in alleyways and the curb. They wore torn and filthy clothes. Some were begging for food or money.

One little girl was curled up unmoving with her eyes glazed over in death. She couldn't have been any older than 4. I stopped and looked at her lifeless body. She was naked and filthy.

For only a moment I considered giving her my coat but, it would only be taken from her like her other clothes must've been. If she had had any in the first place.

I continued on.

The old and crumbling buildings had people inside huddling around small fires in barrels, old fridges or directly on the floor. Whatever kept them warm in this cold Ocean.

As I continued buildings ever so slightly got better and more stable looking.

I turned up a side street and made it to a very small shack. Pulling out my key, I unlocked the door and stepped inside. It was dark and chilly. When I took a step towards my small living room when something crinkled under my foot. I looked down and saw a pile of mail.

'Huh, Erb was early today.' I thought numbly as I picked up the pile of papers.

"Bill, Bill" I mumbled to myself as I looked through the letters. After going through a couple letters one fell from my hands.

When I picked it up I noticed the significant weight difference it had compared to the other letters.

On the envelope was "Congratulations" written in golden letters. I opened it and was surprised to have a hologram burst from within. I dropped it again and took a step back.

A pretty woman stood before me in life size proportions.

"Hello! This is a message intended for Kendaliah Ross. If you are and friend, family member, spouse or other I would like to politely ask you to leave the room." She paused for a couple minutes before she continued. "Now Kendaliah Ross you have been selected for the 42nd Retrorsum. You are contestant number 2456791."

She continued with the rules that I and everyone else on this world has gotten ingrained in their heads for the rest of our lives.

I sat down on the arm of my ratty couch and held my head.

'Fuck.'

"In exactly one month you are to got to the New Atlantis Metro Station to ride with your fellow contestants on train number 245. You will not be permitted to bring any personal items along with you except your local currency. Knobleish Enterprises thanks you for you participation. We'll see you then!"

After the hologram shimmered and disappeared into the envelope I stood and approached it. I stomped on it until it was a pile of wires and metal.

With tears of anger in my eyes I walked into my kitchen. I grabbed a bottle of vodka from my freezer and a glass.

'It's 8:00 o'clock and I'm drinking. God this fucking sucks.' I knocked back a glass and my face twisted in disgust.

I've never really liked alcohol but, it sure helps me in times like these. It usually just tastes to strong for me.

I thought about the Retrorsum from the last year. Only ten people made it through that year. It was brutal, on average 40 people make it out.

My throat burned as I drank another glass. I shook my head and put the bottle back in the freezer.

As I washed the glass in the sink there was a knock at the door. I placed the glass back in the cabinet and headed towards the door. Before I grabbed the handgun I kept in the bottom drawer beside the sink, just to be safe.

I looked through the peephole and saw a familiar head of pink hair. I took a sigh of relief and opened the door.

"Kennie! You are not going to believe what just happened!"