Monstrous Part One

"Sophie, you nearly died tonight. Take a break." Derek urged me for the hundredth time as he intently watched me move around the room from where he was sitting on the end of the bed. The two of us had gone back to the loft after we made sure everyone else was alright so that I could shower because the smell of gasoline had been starting to make me nauseous.

"If I took a break every time I nearly died, I'd never do anything." I told him in a light tone of voice as I dropped the towel from around my underwear clad body and I noticed the way his eyes followed the movements of my back muscles with a heated glimmer.

"That's not funny." He replied with a glare as he tore his eyes away from my bare back and I rolled my eyes with a small smile as I turned around to face him.

"It wasn't meant to be funny. Listen, hon..." I started patiently as I walked over to where he was sitting and I stood in between his legs with my hands on his shoulders as he gripped my hips possessively. "I would love for our biggest problem to be whether or not to go out for dinner or to order in, but that's not the life we live right now. Satomi's pack are running for their lives, and they didn't ask that, or do anything to deserve it. So, if I can help them, protect them, I'm going to do it. Regardless, whether or not I've had a bad night."

"I know. It's the reason I love you." He said with a tired sigh as he looked up at me with an adoring glint in his eyes and I grinned down at him as my chest swelled with warmth at the easy declaration. There was also a twinge of guilt in my stomach because he could voice his emotions so easily and I struggled to tell him exactly how I felt about him, even though I knew without a doubt I loved him.

"Oh, the only reason?"

"One of the reasons." Derek relented with a smirk as he pulled me towards him and I giggled when we tumbled onto the bed in a tangled mess. He rolled us over so that he was hovering over me and I smiled lovingly as he cupped my face with a serious expression. "I love that you're so protective of everyone, but please remember to protect yourself too."

"Always." I assured him softly with a small smile as I nodded in agreement and he released a reluctant sigh as he rested his forehead against mine. I leaned up to press a lingering kiss to his lips before pushing on his shoulder so that he rolled off of me and I climbed off of the bed with a smirk over my shoulder as he groaned under his breath.

"Do you know where we're meant to be meeting Scott? Or Satomi? Or whoever we're meant to be meeting?" he asked reluctantly as he sat up on his elbows to look at me with an eyebrow raised and I slipped on the clean sweater on over my head.

"Satomi and some of her pack are at the animal clinic, Scott went home to shower, and Kira is trying to find Brett, apparently he's missing."

"Kira's back?"

"Kira's back." I confirmed with a small smile as I pulled on a pair of pants I kept at the loft and I tied my wet hair up into a bun as I sat down next to him on the end of the bed. "I was planning on meeting everyone at the animal clinic. Between my claws and my guns, I should be adequate protection."

"We should be adequate protection." He corrected me pointedly as he sat up straighter with his eyebrows raised and I almost winced at the hard determination in his light green eyes. "I'm coming with you."

"Okay." I conceded in a whisper as I leaned forward to peck his lips and pulled back with a small smile as I jumped up from end of the bed. I shot a smirk at him over my shoulder as I started sauntering out of the room and called out determinedly, "But you're bringing your gun!"

"I was going to anyway!" he shouted after me like a petulant child as I laughed in amusement and the sound of my cell phone ringing caught my attention as I entered the main floor of the loft. I immediately rushed over to my handbag and grabbed my cell phone out of its confines as I saw my brother's name flash on the caller ID.