Chapter 1 Breaking The Ice

Chapter 1
Breaking The Ice
---------------------

4am and my eyes were barely open as I pulled my hair into a tight bun and applied some lip balm. I stumbled back to my closet and pulled on some clothes. I then hobble downstairs to get some food in me.

****

An hour later, at 5:15, I am lacing up my skates. Clare is already in the ice so I join her and start to practise my loop jump and axel jump. Our coaches come and we start practising our routines. We practise for 3 hours straight and then get a much needed break.

Me and Clare lie on the seats around the rink trying to make the most if every second of our break.

"Did you see me wipeout on my single salchow?" Clare laughs at herself.

"No, Hayley made me do axel jumps over and over until it was perfect," I roll my eyes.

"At least you actually got through the semi finals though," Clare points out.

"You would have got through too if you didn't laugh when you fell over!" I tease.

"Hey! That wasn't my fault, it was just too funny not to laugh!" Clare pretend glares at me.

Me and Clare had been friends since we were 5, which was when we started figure skating. Clare wasn't as committed to skating as I was. It was more that her mom wouldn't let her stop. But for me, skating was a second nature. My home is the rink. I spend more time on a rink than I do in school.

"Imogen!" Hayley called from the edge of the rink.

"We'll hang out after practice?" I ask as I walk down to the rink.

"Definitely!" Clare smiles as I skate into the middle of the rink.

****

We practise for another 2 hours and then the coaches leave. As we are coming off the ice, public skating is starting and people start to wobble onto the ice.

"Did you see my axel jump?" I ask Clare, excited to have done an almost perfect jump.

"No, show me," she nods at the rink, her eyes bright.

"I'm not sure, there's a lot of people."

"Yeah and they'll all stop in awe at you," Clare was trying to convince me.

"Okay, but just one!" I say as I make my way back to the rink.

There is probably about 30 people on the rink but there is a big space in the centre so I pick up speed and skate towards there. I prepare myself to jump.

Out of nowhere a boy falls in front of me and as I try to avoid him, I lose my balance and fall. And everything goes black.

----------

Hi! I'm Mairi and this is my first story on wattpad. It is probably obvious but I'm not very good at writing and I know pretty much nothing about ice skating. Feel free to correct me on anything I got wrong. But I hope you enjoyed  (to the only person who read this, aka my friend😕) and sorry it's so short.