Chapter one: The Gift

“Daddy, what are they doing with mommy?” I asked my father quietly and observed his stoic expression. He’d had that look on his face ever since we found mommy laying on the kitchen floor today screaming in pain. Even when we drove to the hospital his face wouldn’t change. I couldn’t help but feel hurt because I didn’t know what was going on or why it was happening. I just wished it would go back to the way it used to be.

When I didn’t get a response, I began to fidget slightly in my chair. I hated sitting still; it just made me feel so restrained and constricted. Figuring as how I wasn’t going to be able to go anywhere, I decided to look around the waiting room.

It was your average hospital waiting room complete with a small coffee table, a few hard brown chairs, icky old paintings on the wall, and a pair of double doors that led to a hall that doctors and nurses walked through. I always wanted to be a doctor, to feel a sense of accomplishment when I was able to help someone. Eh, one day though when I’m big and capable I can.

Pulling myself away from my mind bantering, I bring my attention back to the matter at hand and reach out to grab my father’s focus but stop when a rather tall doctor walks out of the double doors. He had dark blue eyes, wavy, short brown hair, and a long white coat that looked so bleached that if I stared at him for too long I’d go blind.

After taking a look at the clip board in his hand he looks at my father with very tired and exhausted eyes and asks, “Mr. Michaels?” My father looks up and gives a curt nod in his direction.  I take a look around the room once more and frown. We were the only ones here. Is this guy seriously asking my father who he is when he knows that there aren’t any other families in the room? How stupid can you be? You’re a freaking doctor for peats sake! I know I’m 7 and thinking about that at a time like this is weird, but come on!

 Clearing his throat, he makes his way over to us and takes a seat next to my dad. “Hello Mr. Michaels.” He greets my father as he extends his hand.

When my father just gives him a dull stare, he retracts his hand and waves off the awkward atmosphere. “Well I’m Dr. Lumen, your wife’s physcia…”

“I don’t care who the hell you are! Just tell me that my wife is going to be ok!” My father interceded. He was up on his feet in seconds and I could see anger, fright, and frustration askew across his face.

Not fazed by his outburst and obvious lack of respect. Dr Lumen calmly stood up and met my father’s angry gaze head on. “Ok I was going to try to break this to you as lightly as possible, but it looks like that idea is out the window.” He sighed scratching is wavy brown hair.

“The cancer in your Wife’s breasts is in an advanced state, if we could've caught it earlier on she might’ve had a fighting chance. I’m sorry to say this but, she doesn’t have long to live…” His voice trailed for a while when he broke eye contact with my father and looked at me sympathetically.

The instant he had heard the news, my father did something that I never even knew he was capable of doing. He cried and crumbled to the floor in a fit of sobs and curses.

All I could do was stare at him in pure shock and bewilderment. My father was the strongest person I knew. He never cried in front of anyone, not even in front of my mom. Whatever was happing with mommy was making him hurt really badly on the inside.

Feeling really uncomfortable in the situation, I reached up gently and began to pat my father’s head. “It’s ok daddy, please don’t cry. I’m sure mommy just has a cold and will be better in no time, so please stop crying.” I tried to reassure him, obviously unaware of the severity of the situation.

As if remembering that I was in the room, my father removed his face from his hands and pulled me into a tight embrace. Squeezing me tightly to him as if he were afraid I might vanish if he didn’t. I hugged him back just as tightly in hopes of lifting his spirits