Chapter 26: My Addiction

You're my prescription, my adiction, my antidote. 

Chapter 26: My Addiction

It was raining. A storm was rattling the outside world, dropping huge droplets of water on the jungle floor. The sound of water drops echoed back to Myra, buried deep in the temple's walls. The girl was sitting in a corner, hands tied behind her back, and listened to the water. Drop, drop, drop. The water made sounds that developed into words that only the girl could make out. It's all your fault. Drop, drop, drop. The storm growled outside, ripping the air with the monster that was begging to come out and play. She could hear the jungle trees going crazy, their leaves praying for the violence to stop. Drop, drop, drop, just like Vaas's body dropped. Myra covered her ears in vain, moaning for the drops to stop saying his name. 

Her biggest concern; was Vaas still even alive? After the Rakyat had attacked, she had woken up in a stone room. The walls were grey and dull, covered in moss and dust. The roof was stone, covered in moist and water that dropped from every crack that sliced up the rock. She didn't even know where the temple was situated, just that she knew she was in a temple. The guard that had been posted at her door, had informed her of where she was. That was two days ago. Two days of complete ignorance, complete lonliness and utter fear. Every sound in this place was eerie, but soon became comforting. Except for the water drops that spoke the name she didn't want to hear. Her intense hurt for that face, that face that left a mark. The last time she'd seen it, it had been bloodied and half dead. She wondered sometimes, if it weren't for the food that was delivered daily, if teh Rakyat had other plans for her. Why they even kept her alive, was a big mystery. 

The temple walls groaned with the storm, growling with each gust of wind and threatening to fold onto themselves with every roll of the thunder. If the rof was going to collapse, Myra wouldn't even fight to live. She was empty, with nothing left inside her to fight. The only strain of hope, was the thought that maybe Vaas was still alive out there. If she didn't have the proof in front of her, she would still open her eyes in the morning and let her heart beat. However, if ever the proof came to her, she would let herself slip away. Why? Why would she even care if the man who killed her friends, kidnapped her and tortured her died? Because he had permitted her to escape. Escape the absurdities of the outside world, of America and of her own little boring life. To flee from the regards of her Uncle Robin, from the ignorance of her parents and the backs that turned on her through out her early life. What Vaas had given her, after a certain amount of time, was more than she could ask.

He gave her freedom to be who she was inside her head. She could think dark thoughts without slapping herself in the face, because back home, it was forbidden to think dark. If she was to speak about blood and gore, here on Rook, it was accepted. Back home, she would of gotten a wopping. And, when Vaas and her had sex, she could let the beast inside her loose, cut the chains and let it roam free. In California, if she did that with boys, she was a freak, a weirdo, whatever. How many times, when she was going out with her only boyfriend, Asher, had she been restraining herself? The answer is, every time. It was only with the pirate lord that she felt alive, on fire. Now, if the Rakyat took that fire away, what would happen?

Steps shook the girl form her daze. The feet shuffled by her door, mumbled with her guard and entered. The dimly lit room illuminated a dark figure, tall and familiar. Carlos. He had visted her twice, one time each day. He had tried in vain to speak to her, but the young woman refused to even open her mouth. To her, he was a traitor. She'd rather him dead, than with the Rakyat. "Hi, Myra," he greeted, voice low and somber. "I brought you some breakfast," and with that, he pushed a small bowl of burnt rice up next to her. She grabbed it slowly, not lifting her eyes to meet the chocolate brown. "You going to speak to me today?" Myra just gobbled down her rice in response. "Apparently not," he answered himself.