New Beginnings

It was the summer after senior year. It was hot but, it was the hot that you wish didn't go away because it had a little breeze. The fresh air had the sense of a new beginning. The type of air that made you think that everything was perfect, even if it was just for an instant. The sky was blue, the grass was green, the summer was starting. Whether people wanted it or not high school was over. For some it was a sense of relief and freedom but, for others it was a scary and they felt afraid of what lied ahead.

It all started with James and his girlfriend Maria waiting for their friend Lilly at her house. James was tall, tan, handsome, sweet, and the captain of the football team. Maria was smart but everyone knew her as the person to go around and sleep with everyone so, that brought her reputation down. Maria was waiting and became impatient. "Hurry up Lilly" exclaimed Maria. They had already been waiting at her house for fifteen minutes. "Don't rush me" Lilly said to Maria in a annoyed tone. Maria turned to James.

"Why do we even have to take her" she said in frustration

"Because we promised" James said looking at Maria.

"No, WE didn't...YOU did" Maria basically yelling it in anger as she turned away.

James knew that when it came to Maria it was better to let her get the last word than to keep on. About five minutes later Lilly finally came out packed and ready.

"What took you so long?" James asked.

"None of you damn business" Lilly told him.

"Whatever, hop in so we can go and pick up everyone else" he told Lilly.

James didn't even know why he bothered asking. Everyone knew that when it came to Lilly she always acted bitchy. Once Lilly had her seatbelt buckled they all headed to their friend Gabriel's house. When they got there he was already waiting outside for them.

"Dude how long have you been out here?" Asked James

"Not long" Gabriel stated.

"Sure"James said in sarcasm.

"I swear I wasn't out here for long" Gabriel said trying to reassure James.

"Ok hop in" James said to Gabriel

Everyone knew that Gabriel was a people pleaser. So when he said stuff like that everyone knew that he was probably lying and trying to make it seem like he wasn't out there for long. People told him about how he would try to please everyone. He couldn't help it, it was just the way he was.

"So how are you and your boyfriend?" Maria asked Gabriel.

"Yea what happening with you and your boy toy?" Lilly asked.

"Umm..." Gabriel worriedly said.

"What happened?" Maria said with concern

"He cheated on me" Gabriel sadly told them

"That A-hole" Maria said in anger

"I knew your guy's relationship wasn't going to last" Lilly said to Gabriel

Maria started to get angry at Lilly for the way she was behaving. Maria thought to herself about how someone could say that. She was about to say something until James calmed her down. After all this probably was the last time they were all going to be together because of college.

They headed down to the next friends house. They got lost on the way there but they eventually found it.

"What's up guys?" Steven asked in excitement

"Hey babe!" Yelled Lilly.

"Hey" the rest said in unison.

After Steven put his stuff away he sat next to his girlfriend Lilly. Nobody knows how they got together. In middle school and most of high school Lilly wouldn't even acknowledge Steven. Then senior year came and suddenly they were together. Everyone was in shock when they found out because he was such a nice guy and she was... Well her.

After Steven there was no one else to pick up, so that meant it was time to hit the road and start their road trip. Everyone was so excited. They couldn't wait any longer, for some it was the highlight of their summer and for others it was just the beginning.

Leaving their home of Richmond, Virginia and heading off to Los Angeles California, with some stops along the way. It was scary for them to think that this could be the last time they see each other together. They wanted to make sure that this summer was one they would never forget.