Wish

The fires burned through the gutted city. Bursts of orange shattered whatever windows were left, showering the ground below. The storm clouds were still a distance away. The winds aided the flames into leaping to new untouched structures. The pavement below was in the process of reverting to a liquid state. Sirens shrieked loudly as the surviving citizens screamed, the sounds combining together almost like one being.

Tailen stood on the roof of one of the few fire free skyscrapers that stood in its glory. The heat caressed his skin, warming him to the bone. The pupils of his eyes reflected the orange-red glow of the surrounding city. Every minute hit him harder then the last. Somewhere off to his left, in the direction of the nuclear power plant, an explosion rang out and a fireball bloomed. Twenty seven.

Behind him he heard a sigh. "Seventy one minutes is a long time to stare. Honestly, the watching doesn't change anything." Tailen slowly turned to look at the source of the voice. The man was gnarled, with a twisted leg and leathery skin. He hunched, unable to stand up straight. Glaring from all his imperfections, however, was a white smile under a salt and pepper beard. "There's my boy. You still have one more." "This isn't what I wanted!" sobbed Tailen. "Oh, but it was your wish that led to this." The old man in ragged clothes smiled wider. "One. More. Wish." Falling to his knees, Tailen grabbed at the man's leathery hand "Undo all  of this, please!"

Tailen shot awake, breathing heavily. He had a nightmare but couldn't remember what it was about. Shrugging, he got up and turned on his TV as he dressed. Something about dry winds. He frowned and walked out his front door. Stopping to check the mail, his heart fell. Bills, mortgages. Almost all of them final notices. As he walked down his street he turned his head toward the park. A nature walk should clear my head, he thought as he altered his course to enter the park.

An old man sat on a park bench, asking for change. Tailen, always the fool for helping the needy, smiled and gave the old man a twenty. "Bless your soul." replied the old man in rags, voice frail. As Tailen started to keep walking, a leathery hand grabbed hold of him and caused him to shiver. "Wait, you haven't told me what you wished for." Tailen turned "Wished for?" The old man nodded "Any wish, except more wishes." Quickly, Tailen blurted out "I wish I had enough money to pay all my bills." The old man smiled slightly, as white teeth barely were visible "Did you know that since the risk is low fire insurance is at an all time high?"