05

"Why would Hook being someone from the Mainland here?" Peter asked as they headed back to the cave.

"Same reason you brought me here," Wendy explained. "To help with his plans."

"So this Dren guy, he's just a lunatic, eh?" Peter asked, and Wendy laughed. "He wants to help Hook!"

Tink nodded in agreement, her lips in a pout as she tried to think of something to add.

"Well, if they can't find you, I know Dren will give up," Wendy admitted. "He can't keep going on forever."

"I don't know, there isn't many places to hide." Peter looked at Wendy with sad eyes. "Sooner or later, they'll find us. That doesn't mean we're gonna give up, we're just putting off the inevitable."

"Peter," Wendy trailed off, trying to find an uplifting response.

"No, Wendy." He put his hand up to silence her. "We're not giving up. It's just. . .we need to do something, and quick, if we're still gonna be able to call this place home."

Wendy grabbed his wrist and held it in both of her hands. "Peter. Look at me." She stopped until he locked eyes with her. "We will win. Neverland will be saved. I promise you that."

Peter smiled softly and slid his hand between hers. Wendy gave his hand a comforting squeeze, and he squeezed her hand in return.

"I'm glad I went to you for help," Peter murmured, averting her gaze as warmth filled his cheeks. Wendy cracked a smile, her hands still holding his; when she realized that, she took her hands away and put them at her sides. "We. . .should head back and tell the Lost Boys about this."

"Mmhmm." Wendy nodded and walked alongside Peter back through the forest towards the cave. "At least we're getting closer to beating Hook."

"Yup."

An awkward silence hung between them, and Wendy ran her fingers through her somewhat tangled hair.

When they got back to the cove, the Lost Boys were either curled up on the floor, panicking, or running around like mad men.

"Boys, what's wrong?" Wendy asked, and they all turned at the sound of her voice.

"W-We thought Hook got you guys!" Nib exclaimed, and Slightly nodded.

"Nah, we're fine," Peter said. "We got some news: Hook brought a person from the Mainland here to help him with his malevolent plans."

Wendy took the pocket watch out of her pocket and held it in the palm of her hand.

The Lost Boys gathered around.

"Dr. Harold Dren," Cubby read. "Who's that, Wendy?"

"He's just a guy who wants to prove your exsistance," Wendy said. "Doing that would jeopardize all of you guys. You'd be tested on and all that if he found you."

"What're we gonna do about this, Peter? I don't wanna be tested on," Slightly whined, and Peter tapped his chin in thought.

"I think I have an idea," Wendy piped up. "But it involves me heading back home and grabbing a few things, doing a little research; I'll only be gone a few hours."

"Okay, and Tink will stay with you so you can fly back." As on cue, Tinker Bell flew to Wendy's shoulder. "I'll help you off."

"Be safe, Wendy!" Cubby called, and Wendy smiled.

"Don't worry, I will," Wendy reassured. "I'll be back with a foolproof plan, and this'll be over with."

She, Peter, and Tink went back to land, and Tink surrounded Wendy with pixie dust.

Peter place his hands on Wendy's waist and helped her up into the air, towards the second star.

"Just be back soon," Peter called, and Wendy turned to face him, Tink leading her to the second star.

Suddenly, two patrol pirates, followed by Hook and Dren, grabbed Peter's arms.

"Peter!" Wendy cried. She tried to fly down to him, but Tink held her back.

"I'll be fine, Wendy!" Peter called. "Just do whatever you needed to do! Don't worry about me!"

Before she was back in London, Wendy last saw Peter struggling to break free of their grip as the pirates dragged him away.