"Wait for me to come home"

The first rays of sunshine snuck through your curtain, causing you to slowly wake. You should have woken with a sense of happiness because today was your 19th birthday. Instead, all you felt was an empty ache. You rolled on your side and looked at the photo of you and your boyfriend, Brenton, at Christmas last year, dancing around the tree, your eyes shining with laughter. Brenton had been away for 9 months now, pursuing his acting career. You had kept in touch through email and FaceTime but you hadn't been with him in so long, it was starting to wear on you. You felt a bit forgotten and insecure, regardless of his emails. You worried that he may find some better girl in Hollywood and leave boring, normal you. You did want to support him though. He was supposed to be back 2 months ago but he ended up staying in Hollywood longer to accept an offer for a short film; he was missing your birthday. He sent you and email saying he was sorry but you didn't know if you could be in a relationship where he was gone all the time. You emailed back saying that you loved him but didn't know how much longer you could do this. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago, he never responded. You didn't know how to take it. Did it mean you were over? Was Brenton mad? Were you being selfish? You didn't want this gray cloud looming over your special day, so you hopped in the shower, hoping the water would wash away your worries.
  Later that day, as you were getting ready for dinner with friends, your little sister came into your room and handed you a package. "This came in the mail for you, it's from your boyfriend!" And she skipped away. Sure enough, the package's return address said "Brenton Thwaites". You felt a surge of excitement and uncertainty  as you opened the package. Inside was a letter, a leather bound book and dvd labeled "Happy 19th"; they were all labelled 1, 2 and 3 respectively. You opened the letter and read...
"Darling,
I'm sorry I'm not there on your special day. I should be there. Don't think for a second there's someone else or I'm forgetting you. You are the most unique, beautiful and special person I've ever met. I think about you every day. Los angles is great, but I can't wait to come home to you. You make me happier than fame ever could. I know this is hard but I will do anything to make it work. Please don't give up. I love you."
- Brenton
You felt the tears running dow your cheeks, ruining your makeup but you didn't care. The emptiness you felt earlier was replaced with butterflies and a wonderful warmth. You opened the book, it was a scrapbook of everything you and Brenton had done together with handwritten captions. All of those photos gave a sense of deep, true love. Beautiful memories. Wiping away tears, you put in the dvd, Brenton came on the screen.
"Happy 19th birthday, beautiful girl."
He began singing "Photograph" by Ed Sheeran...
"Loving can hurt
Loving can hurt sometimes
But it's the only thing that I know..."
"We keep this love in a photograph
We made these memories for ourselves. Where our eyes are never closing, hearts are never broken
time's forever frozen still..."
"When I'm away, I will remember how you kissed me, under the lamp post back on 6th street hearing you whisper through the phone,
"Wait for me to come home."

"I love you, please don't ever forget that."

You had been crying during the song but now you were laughing, sure you were the luckiest girl alive. This birthday was going to be just fine.

A/N: please comment and let me know what you think or if I should do more, it would mean so much!