Chapter 25

The group outside stood still, listening to the silence. "What's going on?" Garik cried.

Ebony turned and grabbed him, pulling him away from the situation. "They're helping Thor. Come on, it'll be a while." He pulled away from her, staring at the door as she tried to drag him away.

"What happened?!"

Ebony pulled him close and shushed him. "Your father is in there. He won't let any harm come to Thor, it's going to be okay. Garik, look at me." He turned, his eyes wide and brimming with tears. "It's going to be okay."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Inside the room, Tarin fell back against the wall, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Now we have to flush it out all over again." Loki mumbled. He had extracted the source of the Ceiran's poison into a vial days before. Now it was running through Thor's bloodstream again.

Loki was sitting beside Thor, gripping his brother's hand tightly. He looked up at Petra and she hesitated, seeing the despair and the pleading in his eyes. He needed her to save Thor. Crying could be heard from outside.

Thor was barely awake. His eyes fluttered and his lips trembled but he was delirious with pain and shock.

The door opened and Kenna looked in. Five pairs of eyes looked over her shoulder. "Now what?"

Petra looked down and spoke softly. "There are two things I can do. One, few have every done and even fewer have survived. The other, someone has to die either way."

Loki nodded, knowing what she meant. "I'll do it." She stared at him. "Use me. Trade my life for his, please."

"Prince..."

"Loki, no!" Ebony shouted. He waved his hand and the door slammed closed. The lock turned. Meeting Petra's gaze, Loki nodded.

"We don't have time to deliberate. They need him. Take me." He wiped his eyes and looked back down at Thor. "His wife is pregnant. That child will be the next king or queen and it will need a father. Take me instead."

Thor had gone limp and silent. His breathing was short and forced. The door shuddered and he half turned. Ebony shouted on the other side.

"Loki!"

He ignored her and looked up at Petra. "It's alright. They've suffered the loss of me before. They're strong enough to take it. This kingdom needs him."

"Loki, please! Please, stop!"

He cringed as other voices joined hers. Petra bit her lip. He held up a hand as she opened her mouth to protest as well. "The likelihood of you both surviving is slim. He's sure to make it if you trade our lives. It's okay. I'll go knowing he's alright."

She shook her head and looked at the door. "It seems to me you are needed as well."

"Never as much as Thor." His voice fell to a whisper.

Tarin nodded. "We have time. Say goodbye to your family."

"I won't go through with it if I do that. They'll understand eventually."

On the otherside of the door, Ebony sank to her knees, her forehead against the wood and her hand gripping the doorknob. She turned to see Merek holding Kenna and Garik. "I promised." She whispered. Garik looked up at her as she stood. "I promised." Her voice gained volume and strength. She pounded on the door. "Listen to me! Loki, you know a way to postpone this! He'll only sleep. It will give us time to find another way. Just stop this!"