Chapter 7

[The italics are a flashback, but the flashback is also a dream she's having while she sleeps. When she wakes up its present time.]

I hummed, pulling out a lighter and showing it to Jordan. "You going to do a magic trick?" He asked me with a joking tone. 

We sat in the Sheriff's Department, all of the lights off except the lamp at the table we were sitting at. It was late and Jordan had a night shift so we were the only two in this room. "No, but you are."

He rolled his eyes. "I only know one trick and it's with a playing card. Besides, I already showed you when you spent the night a few weeks ago."

"I still don't understand how you did that." I sighed, shaking my head before going back on subject. "Well, this one involves a lighter and your hand."

"Sounds more like assault." 

I laughed, scooting closer to him so I could reach comfortably. "It's a little dangerous, yes, but it's not as bad as being lit on fire in a deputy sheriff's car. Which by the way, you walked away from unscathed."

"Not entirely, I had to pay for the uniform."

I laughed, again,  holding out my hand. "Give me your hand." 

"I think I've seen something like this in a movie."

I snickered, mockingly exclaiming, "Kiss me, you fool!"

He seemed to take that as an invitation, leaning forward to catch my lips with his. I hummed, dropping the lighter on the desk and standing up, kneeling on the desk as he slowly sank back in his seat with me following him, our lips still connected. I crawled across the desk, nipping at his lip and straddling his waist in his chair.

His hands cupped my face, bringing me closer to him as my arms wrapped loosely around his neck, both of us deepening the kiss. I pulled away while I still had the strength to. "As much as I'd love to continue, I really need to see this."

He groaned slightly as I crawled off his lap, sliding back into my chair. "Okay." I held my hand out again, picking up the lighter in the other.

He rolled his eyes, finally giving me his hand. "Remind me what the trick was?"

I smiled, turning his hand over and flicking the lighter on. "Not minding."

I brought the flame to his hand and he held it there for a second before whipping his hand away, yelling, "Ow, son of a-" He cut himself off laughing and I joined him, watching him wave his hand in pain.

"You can last longer than that. This time I want you to do something different. Don't think about the flame, don't think about the heat. Don't think about it hurting, don't even look at it. Look at me."

He sighed, nodding and bringing his hand back to mine. I flicked the lighter on, raising it to his palm again and this time, he wasn't affected. I kept eye contact with him, watching his eyes gloss over and almost fade away, as if he was in deep thought about something else. I continued to hold it there, ignoring the slight burn from the heat on my thumb and waiting for him to pull away.

30 seconds later he was still sitting there, staring towards me but not at me and I finally caved, releasing my grip on the lighter and letting it clatter on the table, wincing in pain.

He broke out of his stare, looking at me worriedly. "What happened?"

I held my thumb to my mouth, pulling it away and shaking my hand slightly as the burn healed. "Oh, it was too hot. My thumb was too close to the flame."