Chapter 13

"Hit record!" Valack suddenly yelled, growing just as anxious. "Do it now, it costs you nothing!"

"But it's worth something to you, so you're not getting it for free. What does the book do?" I continued to pester as the lights flickered. I was internally freaking out because the Doctors could appear any second but we have to get what we came here for.

"I told you, it opens your eyes."

"How?" I pestered.

"It triggers the memory centers of the brain, clearing the fog and bringing the images of the Dread Doctors into focus. I wrote the book in an effort to find out if anyone else like me had ever seen them before. I thought I could circulate it, an effort to trigger someone anyone else's memory. They'd see the cover, a hint of memory; they pick up the book, read it. The suppressed memories surface and they'd find their way to me to discover more, just like you did."

"Did it work with anyone else?"

"You didn't see it on the New York Times best seller list, did you?"

"Not really a good time for the sarcasm Valack." I snapped at him and he didn't reply, pressing his hands to the glass.

"So all we have to do is read the book?"

"If you've seen them, if they've done something to you, then the book will help you remember. Now give me what I want!"

Lydia held her hand out to Stiles who hesitantly put the recorder in her hand. She pressed record and I held my hands up to my ears as she took a deep breath before letting out her scream. It didn't last as long as her usual ones do, mostly because those ones are forced. Once it was over she set the recorder in the box.

Lydia and Stiles began to run but I stopped, moving closer to the glass as the alarms began to go off. "Tell us what they want." Stiles and Lydia stopped down the hall when they saw I wasn't coming but I continued."What are they trying to do?"

Stiles yelled to Lydia, "Hide! I'll get Erin!" I heard Lydia run off and Stiles grow closer, his arm wrapping around my waist, careful of my hurt side. "Erin, let's go!"

"Read the book." Valack told me as Stiles pulled me away. "Anyone who's come into contact with them, read the book!"

With that Stiles pulled me around the corner and into a room with no label on the door. He tugged me behind a wall and leaned against it, pulling me in front of him with his arm wrapped around me as I clutched it with my hand. The two of us heard the pounding footsteps walk by and we sat there until we heard Valack scream, followed by the Doctors walking down the hallway once again. I glanced around the corner and my eyes locked with the smallest Doctor who was standing in the doorway. They stared at me and I shook in fear, tightening my grip on Stiles so he would look. But as I thought they were gonna attack, they continued down the hall, as if they never saw me.

The two of us breathed heavily as the lights flickered back on. "I don't think they want me dead, they just want me powerless. Stiles, I think we're okay now."

He shook his head, neither of us moving from our close spot together. "No, it's not okay. All of this, it's on us. Everything that's happened, everything that's going to happen. It's our fault."

I nodded. "It's our responsibility."

***

"Chimeras." Sheriff crossed off Tracy's picture on his board before turning back around to Stiles, Malia, and I.

"Two dead Chimeras and eight new ones. So that's ten in all." Last night the department found eight new holes, all of them in the lacrosse field.

"I'm thinking maybe eleven." He grabbed a picture off his desk and stuck it on his board, Donovan printed on the picture. Stiles and I shared a look and I subconsciously touched my injured side. "Our station tech guys confirmed something for me. They said both the holding cell lock and cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic. You said that, uh, these guys-"