Chapter Two

Chapter Two:

Luke lay awake in bed, staring at the ceiling just visible in the gloom. It had been two weeks since he and Venussia had made love. Two weeks in which he had slept very little and worked extra hard in an attempt to keep his mind off of what he'd done.

And while his plan worked during the daylight hours— when there was always something to do to keep his mind busy— nighttime was a different story.

Because at night his mind stilled with the inactivity, and as he lay in bed, restless with the ever-growing and gnawing guilt, Luke found that he wasn't able to shut his eyes without seeing that night... and the hundreds of other scenarios that played out with him walking away instead.

Why didn't I just get up and find somewhere else to be? Luke bemoaned for the thousandth time.

He knew his aunt and uncle were curious and, even a little wary of their nephew's new-found drive to do everything he could around the farm. So far, Luke had been able to deflect their attention with reasonable replies, but even that supply of excuses was growing rather thin.

His eyes sprung a leak then, as they did every night. He couldn't remember an evening in which he hadn't cried himself to sleep. He sighed as hunger gnawed at his stomach.

He'd also taken to eating far less, a sure sign of his depression; which he knew his aunt was aware of. Luke hated to worry her, but his appetite had left him. He'd lost weight, and only ate what would sustain him during the day.

But the thing that was hurting Luke the most was the knowledge that he had bare-face lied to his aunt and uncle. He hadn't told anyone, and so far Venussia hadn't either, but for some reason Luke kept feeling like it was all about to come crashing down on him.

He was sick of keeping the truth from his guardians. He wanted the crushing weight of his shame to leave him... which it would when his uncle had had time to cool off.

Luke thinned his lips, feeling even through his fear of Owen's reaction that he was on the right path. Closing his eyes with a newfound determination, Luke promised to tell his family what had actually happened that night.

He didn't care what Venussia tried to tell everyone else. He wanted Owen and Beru to know the truth.

This ends in the morning... one way or another.

00000

Venussia stared at the mirror, eyeing her ashen complexion in the mirror in the pre-dawn light. This was the third time this week— three days straight— in which she'd woken up ill.

She had no idea what was wrong, but she was tired of feeling nauseous. Not to mention her father's questions each morning were driving her insane. She knew he was worried for her, and that he was concerned about the type of sickness she was exhibiting, but she wished he'd back off.

A knock on the door startled her, and her father's voice sounded from the other side. "Venussia, are you okay?"

She didn't see the point in hiding it anymore. If it wasn't going to go away on its own, then she would need a doctor. Opening the door, she allowed her father inside and she sat on the lip of their tub.

"I don't know what's wrong, Dad," she told him. "It's been three days now in which I feel sick when I wake up."

Corsair Atriedes lifted a brow. "Did you eat something bad at school?"

She shrugged. "I don't really eat lunch. The food at school isn't what I'd call edible."

Her father grimaced in sympathy.